The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine - Do they look at GCSES beyond the minimum requirements?

Hey, Im a sixth form student looking to study medicine and have a question which is whether UCL Medical School look at GCSE requirements beyond the minimum entry.

According to this article https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/gcse/medical-school-gcse-requirements they do not look at GCSE requirements beyond a Grade 6 in English and Maths and Grade 5 in a MFL however when looking at older UCL medicine posts from 2015/2016 on this website people have said they look at everything including GCSEs as part of selecting applicants. This was back in the old GCSE grading system.

I was wondering if both above were correct, did UCL change their admissions policy sometime recently to not look at GCSEs at much? If this was the case I would suppose this was around the time when the new GCSE 9-1 grades were made.

Context: I have GCSE grades 987777755 with 9-8 combined science, 7 in both eng lang and eng lit and a 7 in maths. Probably the weaker side of a medical applicant, but it meets most (if not all) medical school entry requirements so its calm. Im confident these are enough however just gotta triple check

Sorry for the waste of time but like gotta triple check uno. Ive stalked a few UCL medics linkedins and they all seem to have high GCSEs (7+ Grade 9s) so yea. I have a Grade 5 in German so luckily dont have to take the language course if I go there

Also yes I am fully aware that the medical school you go to doesnt really matter as all are GMC certified in the UK but Im looking at UCL as I am from London and am reluctant to go to a uni far away mainly due to financial reasons
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
I've had a look at this website (A freedom of information website)
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_application_proces#incoming-2005995
According to this UCL doesn't look at GCSEs beyond the minimum requirements. The response is from a UCL rep
Reply 2
Original post by kk15405
Hey, Im a sixth form student looking to study medicine and have a question which is whether UCL Medical School look at GCSE requirements beyond the minimum entry.

According to this article https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/gcse/medical-school-gcse-requirements they do not look at GCSE requirements beyond a Grade 6 in English and Maths and Grade 5 in a MFL however when looking at older UCL medicine posts from 2015/2016 on this website people have said they look at everything including GCSEs as part of selecting applicants. This was back in the old GCSE grading system.

I was wondering if both above were correct, did UCL change their admissions policy sometime recently to not look at GCSEs at much? If this was the case I would suppose this was around the time when the new GCSE 9-1 grades were made.

Context: I have GCSE grades 987777755 with 9-8 combined science, 7 in both eng lang and eng lit and a 7 in maths. Probably the weaker side of a medical applicant, but it meets most (if not all) medical school entry requirements so its calm. Im confident these are enough however just gotta triple check

Sorry for the waste of time but like gotta triple check uno. Ive stalked a few UCL medics linkedins and they all seem to have high GCSEs (7+ Grade 9s) so yea. I have a Grade 5 in German so luckily dont have to take the language course if I go there

Also yes I am fully aware that the medical school you go to doesnt really matter as all are GMC certified in the UK but Im looking at UCL as I am from London and am reluctant to go to a uni far away mainly due to financial reasons

Hey did you end up getting in? Because i have similar grades to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending