The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Changing Courses at Warwick from Economics to Discrete Maths

Hi,

I have an unconditional offer from Warwick for Economics and I am on a gap year, having achieved A*A*A* in maths, physics, and economics.

I have realised I am really interested in computer science but I don't like that in CS degrees you stop doing maths modules after first-year. I would like to switch to Warwick's Discrete Maths course. I emailed the cs department and they said they are full for 2022 entry which I expected as Warwick gets more applications than offers.

Now I am confused about what to do. Should I wait until Warwick knows who has firmed and then ask again? If not then should I wait till the results are out and then also ask again? I have read online many people apply for BSc maths and BSc discrete maths but usually end up firming maths.

Basically I'm wondering what is the likelihood of being allowed to transfer after being told the course is full (before warwick know who has firmed etc). If I don't get accepted into this course I probably am going to carry on with Bsc in Economics because I don't dislike the subject.

Iv attached some data I found below about the app/offer ratio and the number of ppl who enter through adjustment or clearing for discrete maths:

App/offer/adjustment
2015 - 92,85,0 2016 - 30,34,9 2017 - 65,63,0 2018 - 86,75,0
2019 110,77,<5 2020 115,92,0

Just thought I would add, in 2019 Warwick Discrete Maths never entered clearing so I assume the people who entered the course transfered.

@_gcx
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I have an unconditional offer from Warwick for Economics and I am on a gap year, having achieved A*A*A* in maths, physics, and economics.

I have realised I am really interested in computer science but I don't like that in CS degrees you stop doing maths modules after first-year. I would like to switch to Warwick's Discrete Maths course. I emailed the cs department and they said they are full for 2022 entry which I expected as Warwick gets more applications than offers.

Now I am confused about what to do. Should I wait until Warwick knows who has firmed and then ask again? If not then should I wait till the results are out and then also ask again? I have read online many people apply for BSc maths and BSc discrete maths but usually end up firming maths.

Basically I'm wondering what is the likelihood of being allowed to transfer after being told the course is full (before warwick know who has firmed etc). If I don't get accepted into this course I probably am going to carry on with Bsc in Economics because I don't dislike the subject.

Iv attached some data I found below about the app/offer ratio and the number of ppl who enter through adjustment or clearing for discrete maths:

App/offer/adjustment

Just thought I would add, in 2019 Warwick Discrete Maths never entered clearing so I assume the people who entered the course transfered.

@_gcx

@_gcx

Sorry for spamming, but it doesn't seem like it tagged you in my original post.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
In this case your options are to take up a maths & CS course elsewhere for this year or go for a place at Warwick next year. You can ask if there's any possibility places will open up around results day but I doubt it.

Basically I'm wondering what is the likelihood of being allowed to transfer after being told the course is full

It might be possible for you to restart on DM after your first year, but then there's not really much point in starting econ.
Reply 3
A "I don't dislike" is not a very good reason to take on a 3 year burden along with the financial burden coming with that, not to mention those courses are different enough that they lend to different careers so there is that to think about, too.

I would suggest applying for a course you truly enjoy.
Reply 4
Where did you find the statistics for how many people got offers through adjustment/clearing.
Hi,

App/offer/adjustment

@_gcx

Hi,

I'm a current Warwick student. I know lots of people who have transferred onto other courses during my time here. I will say, it's always primarily dependent on if you have the grades for the subject you're transferring to and if there is space.

If your alternative is to study Economics anyway, I would say stick with that for the moment. Check clearing to see if they have spaces and maybe inquire through your personal tutor in you first term, there might be people who switch courses and spaces become available. It's not a guarantee but a potential option.

Hope this helps.

Davina
Original post by Warwick PG Rep
Hi,

I'm a current Warwick student. I know lots of people who have transferred onto other courses during my time here. I will say, it's always primarily dependent on if you have the grades for the subject you're transferring to and if there is space.

If your alternative is to study Economics anyway, I would say stick with that for the moment. Check clearing to see if they have spaces and maybe inquire through your personal tutor in you first term, there might be people who switch courses and spaces become available. It's not a guarantee but a potential option.

Hope this helps.

Davina

hey, do u know anyone who has transferred to physics?
Reply 7
Hi,

App/offer/adjustment

@_gcx

Did you e-mail the maths dept. about a possible switch to discrete maths?
Reply 8
Did you e-mail the maths dept. about a possible switch to discrete maths?

The discrete maths course isn't based in the maths department, you'd need to contact computer science if you had any questions about it :smile:
Reply 9
Hello, I am considering taking a gap year and it would be nice if you could share what you did during this time.

Quick Reply

Latest