The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You probably wont get arrested unless you explicitly threatened to kill someone

Its probably a caution(Which would be done in person) or a formal notification that you actions now constitute harassment if you contact the person again

You dont need solicitors as its not going to court, its more likely a 'police information notice'

Which is basically there to stop you in future claiming you didnt know she was feeling harassed
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
They'll be cleaning the prison cell for you... That's why they're taking so long to get back :colone:
I doubt very much the police will take things any further. Provided the OP leaves the other person well alone. When the lead singer of Lostprophets was charged with disgusting things aimed at very young children, I Tweeted and re-Tweeted the names of the two women who were involved in it with him. People were ,quite rightly ,utterly disgusted at what Ian Watkins got those women to do to their own children. Well I and about a thousand other people passed the names of the two women back and forward on Twitter. The feeling was,why should they be allowed to keep their anonymity?[Obv. it was to protect their children's identities,but considering the children had been taken into care and might very well be given a new surname and be living in a completely different part of the country we didn't see the harm]. Anyway, what came out in court was so disgusting that I was up most of the night on Twitter. The next day there was a knock at the door. It was a policeman and policewoman. Straight away I thought something had happened to my 19 year old son. However immediately they reassured me that my son was alright and also that he wasn't in trouble.They asked if they could come in. As soon as they were in the living room I got the whole "You have the right to remain silent" speech. I was absolutely gobsmacked and wondered what on earth I had done.Then the man asked me if I personally knew Ian Watkins. I said of course I didn't. Then they said they had received a message that morning from a police force in Wales that I had been Tweeting the names of the two women and that it was a criminal offence to do so. I apologised and said I had no idea it was against the law and if I had known then there was noway I would have re-Tweeted the two women's names. I deleted the messages and also on Facebook there and then. The policeman said he could tell I had been very co-operative and that this will be passed on to Cardiff Crown Court. But he said it was up to them to decide whether they wanted to go ahead and prosecute me or not. This was in November 2013. I've heard nothing since. The only thing I would say to the OP is to just bide your time and hopefully it will all come to nothing,especially if the other person doesn't want to go ahead and press charges against you. But with what happened to me, I learned my lesson and I will never,ever do something like that again,no matter whether it might be out of ignorance or not. Just in case I am breaking the law.
Would a caution or just a verbal warning go against me in the future? As I am doing a Masters in September and may need to undergo CRB checks for future job applications.
Reply 24
Original post by Anonymous
Would a caution or just a verbal warning go against me in the future? As I am doing a Masters in September and may need to undergo CRB checks for future job applications.

Cautions don't tend to come up on CRB checks although the do remain on the police national computer. But like I said in my previous comment, you won't be getting a caution. You'll be getting a PINS notice which is essentially your last warning not to do anything.
Don't agree to any caution without first taking legal advice.

You ought not to admit any offence till you've made reasonable efforts to explore the availability of defences.

Harassment is being taken more seriously and there are more tools -eg. 'stalking' legislation- available to the authorities.
It's been a month on Monday and I still haven't heard anything. Is it usual for investigations to take this long to process? I haven't even had another phone call or letter...
Just put it to one side. The longer the delay the better. They might have a backlog, but it doesnt seem a priority.
Refrain from making the situation any worse.
I just wish I could tell the person I'm sorry.
I just wish I could tell the person I'm sorry.

Do it by staying away.
The police came round last night and I had an 'interview under caution', basically asking me what happened, did I do/say this, etc. I told the truth, though there were some instances where the other person had lied e.g. writing in the statement that I had sent them 6 letters and 12 emails, which isn't true.

Now I have to wait for the sergeant to review it. I haven't contacted this person since May 16th. Would it likely go any further than just a caution or is prosecution still likely? :frown:
Okay. First, don't panic. The police will simply have not got round to informing you of any development yet, then again, police in the UK are s**t. Second, what exactly do you think you've done to this person to get them to report you for harassment? It mainly depends on the severity of what you did. For example, if you just kept trying to talk to them, then they are bang out of order and are just plain ignorant. But if you tried to do "other" things with them, then it's probably understandable, this predicament you're in. Anyways, just try to stay calm for the time being. I'm certain this'll blow over and you can return to your everyday routine in no time. Sorry for the condescending overtones, but I'm being honest here.
The police came round last night and I had an 'interview under caution', basically asking me what happened, did I do/say this, etc. I told the truth, though there were some instances where the other person had lied e.g. writing in the statement that I had sent them 6 letters and 12 emails, which isn't true.

Now I have to wait for the sergeant to review it. I haven't contacted this person since May 16th. Would it likely go any further than just a caution or is prosecution still likely? :frown:

If you had sent them 6 letters and 12 e-mails then she would have to provide copies plus they would need to be verified.

Hard to say what they will do as we dont know how many time or the content. Least you told the truth. If you did the contrition thing, then they might be satisfued they can deal with it through a caution and an agreement to stay away. Depends how nasty the stuff you sent was.
Original post by jon2016
You probably wont get arrested unless you explicitly threatened to kill someone

Its probably a caution(Which would be done in person) or a formal notification that you actions now constitute harassment if you contact the person again

You dont need solicitors as its not going to court, its more likely a 'police information notice'

Which is basically there to stop you in future claiming you didnt know she was feeling harassed

You don't need to accept police warnings of FPN's and can choose to fight them in courts. If he's convinced that he's innocent he should fight it in court since it reflects badly on his character.
I posted in this section because I want this post to be anonymous.

I received a text and voicemail from the police with regards to harassment on Monday 16th May. They informed me on the voicemail not to continue contact with the person and that my local police would be getting in touch with me 'shortly'.

It's now Saturday and so far I haven't heard anything. I've been so scared and sick all week. I know what I've done is wrong, but I haven't contacted the person at all this week after that voicemail. The voicemail itself sounded like a warning, but why did they say the local police will be in touch?

I'm just very confused and lost and don't know what to expect at the moment. Serious answers please.

What did you do?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
You don't need to accept police warnings of FPN's and can choose to fight them in courts. If he's convinced that he's innocent he should fight it in court since it reflects badly on his character.

He isn't.
Original post by 999tigger
He isn't.

Must be hard to prove.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
Must be hard to prove.

Have you read the thread?
Original post by 999tigger
Have you read the thread?

I have now, point taken.

Leave her alone OP, stay away from the phone and the whiskey cabinet.
Original post by cdaniels2011
If it was that serious, I'm sure that would have dealt with it almost instantly..
It shouldn't be much to worry about

You have nothing to worry about. The British police are known to be notoriously slow. They don't like filling up paperwork and they don't like working. Don't let this get to you. Breath in and out. Let it go.

Latest

Trending

Trending