The Student Room Group

Would googling something make police come to your house?

I had a bad experience previously where I typed something on Facebook and police came round to my house at 4am, would googling something make police come round? Like say if it's 2 words and a lot of advice came up about it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
depends on what it is. My mum has googled how to build a bomb and nothing happened. So it would depend on other stuff you google and what it actually is
Original post by Anonymous
I had a bad experience previously where I typed something on Facebook and police came round to my house at 4am, would googling something make police come round? Like say if it's 2 words and a lot of advice came up about it?
Reply 2
xx

No the police won’t come. You should get help though

I think it's very unlikely. They tend to look at people's search history after an incident has happened. They may possibly track some people who are on watchlists (terrorists) or have previous criminal records (paedophiles). I would assume they have some kind of track on CP searches but honestly, I think it's the general public who do vigilante work who would be more interested in who's behind the searches and doing investigations. Searching for something on Google, ultimately, isn't against the law.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 5
The risk comes when or if you click on an unsavory web page through the engine that the police are already monitoring. A simple search isn't going to be your downfall.
Reply 6
depends on what it is. My mum has googled how to build a bomb and nothing happened.

I'd leave your house if I was you.
No, I don't think so that searching anything will make police come to your house, unless and until you are sharing something dangerous or unethical.
no

i'm guessing the police came around because they were concerned about your immediate safety? that was likely because someone reported your facebook post to them. (also fwiw mods can see through anon here, if you make similar posts to that on TSR it's possible you could get a similar outcome if you threaten immediate harm to yourself)
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Notnek
I'd leave your house if I was you.

It was 6 years ago and nothing happened so…

What did you write for Facebook to report you to the feds lol I’m genuinely interested
What did you write for Facebook to report you to the feds lol I’m genuinely interested

Almost certainly self harm
Reply 12
Original post by StriderHort
Almost certainly self harm

No not self harm
No not self harm

So then what was it then ? I’m genuinely curious as to what for them involved lol
No not self harm

Not going to call you a liar, but I find it hard to believe the police would attend a home address at 4am unless they felt someone was in immediate danger or they had been directly summoned
Not going to call you a liar, but I find it hard to believe the police would attend a home address at 4am unless they felt someone was in immediate danger or they had been directly summoned

I think they may just be differentiating between self harm and a more serious attempt.

Well the someone in immediate danger may have been another person...perhaps the facebook post was considered a credible threat towards someone or someones else and raised accordingly?
Original post by artful_lounger
Well the someone in immediate danger may have been another person...perhaps the facebook post was considered a credible threat towards someone or someones else and raised accordingly?

Again I won't say that's impossible, but I will say that scenario is reaching a bit - I'd still find it hard to believe police would appear at 4am over such at post/threat - if we dealing with some huge violent event involving others you'd expect to be told so beyond 'something I typed on facebook'
Reply 18

I already typed it on here and for some reason it got deleted. What's linked to self harm?
Reply 19
Original post by artful_lounger

No it wasn't. It was something directly linked to self harm though and it keeps getting deleted so I won't directly say it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending