The Student Room Group

HELP! Private calls

I got a threatening private call from someone.
Someone rang me stating my name and number was shared about on a social media app.
Will the uk police do anything ?
Original post by Anonymous
Someone rang me stating my name and number was shared about on a social media app.

What about the call made it "threatening"? If a random person happened to stumble across your name and phone number on social media, perhaps they thought they were doing you a favour by letting you know? Did they name the app? If so, I assume you've located the offending post and reported it to get it removed?

Regarding the police, are you asking what action they might take against whoever posted your phone number on-line, or against the person who called you to let you know about it?

:console:
I think you might be able to log something with 101 but doubt it will achieve anything unless you've actually been scammed or if it turns into harassment at a later date.

Usually phones are pretty good at detecting spam these days and the caller ID usually comes up as 'suspected spam'or similar. Also, a good tip is to not answer random phone calls unless you're expecting it e.g. doctors callback, or you've added people into your phone contacts.

The best thing to do would be to report it as spam and block the number :smile:
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
What about the call made it "threatening"? If a random person happened to stumble across your name and phone number on social media, perhaps they thought they were doing you a favour by letting you know? Did they name the app? If so, I assume you've located the offending post and reported it to get it removed?

Regarding the police, are you asking what action they might take against whoever posted your phone number on-line, or against the person who called you to let you know about it?

Yes , what action will they take against the person who posted/gave out my number
Yes , what action will they take against the person who posted/gave out my number

That would depend on whether it could be established that it was done maliciously (i.e. with the intend to harass you) or whether the person could convince them that there was no such intent. In reality, I suspect that the most severe action would be a caution (i.e. a warning).
Original post by Anonymous #1

I would report it to them It sounds really scary.Do you know who is calling you or is it a total stranger? What kind of threatening stuff are they doing to you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending