The Student Room Group

Don't do A levels.

Scroll to see replies

I never did A-Levels, I did a BTEC and am currently doing one. From the looks of it, very glad I didn't do A-Levels :tongue:
Original post by Angry Bird
peak

15 people have repped you and I don't know why.. What does "peak" mean?
Original post by hololand
I don't see how it is fair that 3 days of much easier and far more enjoyable work a week. Can almost DOUBLE the amount of ucas points of far more stressful, much more difficult A levels.

No rigorous, academic course offering even a moderate amount of prestige selects its candidates on the basis of UCAS points, as you would already know had you undertaken even the most cursory research into the topic.
Reply 163
Original post by Profesh
No rigorous, academic course offering even a moderate amount of prestige selects its candidates on the basis of UCAS points, as you would already know had you undertaken even the most cursory research into the topic.

For a start, I do know that. But what i also know is that if you only did 3 days a work on A levels for an entire year. You would not even get into a single university. In fact you would probably drop out before the year even finished.
For a start, I do know that. But what i also know is that if you only did 3 days a work on A levels for an entire year. You would not even get into a single university. In fact you would probably drop out before the year even finished.

Youll get this at uni too, there is a varying level of difficulty between courses (both because some are easier and because people take differently to different subjects)

One of my friends has 2 days of uni a week and works for a further 2 then does bits and bobs on the 5th day, nothing at weekends unless there is a monday deadline and gets a first most of the time. I and many others on my course (different to my friends) work 6-7 days a week consistently in the day and we get firsts but if we were to do what my friend on the different course does chances are we would get 3rds and fails.

Its not unfair etc as what each of us do leads to different end goals, same as btecs and alevels. Yes both can lead to uni but normally doing very different subjects
This is not the problem though, I am working smart and I am happy with the grades I am predicted. (at least in terms of A levels). The problem I have is why... just why a b-tec student that only works 3 days a week would just outshine me with 420 ucas points.... FOR LITERALLY NO COMPARABLE EFFORT.

How many hours of work would you say you do in a week on average.
I'm going into A levels next year. And I don't care if you tell me they're impossibly hard, they're made to be. BTECs are designed for those who either struggle with the exam system or want to go about a practical future. If you want to do A Levels, from what I've learned you have to put in work right from day 1. And if you're not prepared to do this, you're just not going to do well.
Reply 167
BTECH is actually good by the looks of it. And those that do it are not inferior than A level students at all. And I didn't even do BTECH.
Reply 168
Original post by B_9710
How many hours of work would you say you do in a week on average.

I probably work about 30 hours a week on top of the normal school day (averaging about 4 hours a day in homework, coursework and revision). Its important to note that I also do ART which involves a fair amount of time consuming coursework.
Why should I jut focus on myself? If everyone just focused on themselves we would still be in the stone age.

The whole point in my original post is that even though A levels may be more prestigious than B-Tecs.... A levels have a significantly worse work/reward ratio. And I am trying to give a more fair view to people that are undecided. Or perhaps in that same misguided position (where I though b-tecs were for dropouts) that I was.

If you think BTECs are for dropouts then you clearly know nothing about it. I was able to do A levels but I chose BTEC instead because I found it more beneficial especially the career I want to go into. You're saying as if BTEC students do hardly any work. Sure BTEC students may not have to go into college 5 days a week but that's because majority of the work requires own research that can be done at home. BTEC students spend around 12 hours a week outside of college doing work. Sure I don't have to memories information for exams but it is not easy trying to get multiple assignments done within tight deadlines.
Anyway starting in September 2016 exams are being added.
So 2 years ago I made the choice to go through with A levels, My best friend chose the route of B-Tec level 3 extended diploma. Initially I laughed at him and thought he had made a stupid foolish decision.

By the end of the first year I was getting weighed down by the 7 days a week constant revision from maths, physics, business studies and that coursework from art. Meanwhile my friend was merrily on his way with his 3 days a week of relaxed work and practical outdoors filming.

And we arrive at the now. I have not been able to go out with friends on many occasions due to work. Nor have I had any significant free time to pursue my passion and hobbies. I have been locked away revising information that I will likely never need again just to get the grades for a university course of my choice.

My friend meanwhile has already finished for the year, during which he has pursued and integrated his course into his passion for BMX. He has had more free time in the last two weeks than I have had in the entire year.

And he just got his results back. Now at GCSE you must bear in mind he was a B/C student, I was slightly higher with pretty much straight B's. However he just got given D*D*D*, which is the equivalent of 420 ucas points or 3 A*'s at A level. Meanwhile after 7 days a week of far more difficult and challenging work constantly throughout the year, I have barely attained a prediction of BBB.

I don't see how it is fair that 3 days of much easier and far more enjoyable work a week. Can almost DOUBLE the amount of ucas points of far more stressful, much more difficult A levels.

Now obviously I am happy for my friend, I am currently contemplating my life and why I didn't choose the same option as him. But how... HOW is this fair?

I have done just over 2x the work of easily 5x the difficulty and I am getting HALF THE REWARD?.

Now obviously I cannot change the entire UK education system. But I warn anybody considering A levels to read up on this and consider how much pain you will go through for such little reward. Do BTEC's.

1) you should NEVER do a whole week constant revision because your brain wont store it if you do that, you need to have some free time as well. For A-levels you should start revising from the very beginning so you dont have to cram, all you have to do is come back from college and do 1 hour of revision of what you have done that day in college. That's better than not doing anything the whole year and then doing weeks of constant revision, usnt it?
2) ALevels are not 'bad', it depends what kind of person you are. If you like doing coursework and think that this makes you want to work everyday then do BTEC, but if you like exams and are more dependent (dont have to wait for you teacher to tell you to start revising and start revising a bit from the begining) then you should do a-levels.

I was gonna say something else but cant remember now.....
(edited 7 years ago)
I know an Asian who's doing 7 A-levels
:eek2: :eek3: :eek4:
Original post by Bulletzone
I know an Asian who's doing 7 A-levels
:eek2: :eek3: :eek4:

That's me :h:
Original post by mediaya
That's me :h:

Hehe, only joking
I have done btecs, A levels, nvqs.

They both have value in their own way although what I will say is that btecs and or nvqs can open more employment doors.

I was so stressed from A levels at 16 to 18 and it is something I could have seriously done without in terms of how it effected my health. Give or take a bit, I would probably be in the sameish place now had I have done just btecs and nvqs.

The formative late teen years can be so destructive to young adults health what with all the emphasis and stress on getting particular A level grades. It is not a time of my life I would want to relive (I'm 28 now).
Reply 175
Original post by 1secondsofvamps

Anyway starting in September 2016 exams are being added.

only for some of them, not all subjects... mine isn't
I do two A Levels and one BTEC style subject and honestly I don't think D*D*D* is comparable to A*A*A* at all. I regret choosing a BTEC subject but unfortunately a lot of my school's options are BTECs and I got lumbered with having to choose one or go to another school with even more BTECs.

I know many friends doing BTECs that are getting D*D*D* and some of them get away with plagiarising and looking at other people's works and that's them sorted. I find that BTEC subjects can be soulless at times, you never learn anything, you just do assignments for the sake of it but this was purely my observation at doing it for GCSE and it depends how you are taught. I think people saying BTEC students are inferior are saying it to those who chose the subject but then hand in coursework late and almost never put any effort in. For those who do, that's great and they deserve the grade. But to compare the two is silly; the workload is different and the people doing the subjects will be different.
Reply 177
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
I have done btecs, A levels, nvqs.

They both have value in their own way although what I will say is that btecs and or nvqs can open more employment doors.

I was so stressed from A levels at 16 to 18 and it is something I could have seriously done without in terms of how it effected my health. Give or take a bit, I would probably be in the sameish place now had I have done just btecs and nvqs.

The formative late teen years can be so destructive to young adults health what with all the emphasis and stress on getting particular A level grades. It is not a time of my life I would want to relive (I'm 28 now).

The fact that A level student's are put through the amount of stress that they are. Is just unacceptable and shows how wrong the UK education system is.
The fact that A level student's are put through the amount of stress that they are. Is just unacceptable and shows how wrong the UK education system is.

Although my statement may be an outlier, I disagree that A levels are stressful especially in comparison to my Med degree. In fact, I think A levels left me and a huge number of my peers ill prepared for the academic rigours we would face and the A level courses seemed to be fairly easily self taught. A bundle of past papers, mark schemes and a revision guide could often suffice for below par teaching.

What I do however think is that the course could certainly be more focussed and that instead of the syllabus covering vast swathes of content, it could focus on certain key areas of interest. Certainly for many, A levels is the first proper time they can choose subjects they are truly interested in and the syllabus should help further this or at least complement it! This could possibly reduce the 'stress' of a levels you speak of where students are panicked that they have to revise lots of irrelevant content for a 60-120 minute exam.
Not true at all. It depends on how you allocate your time, and different things work for different people. Personally I spent a few days before learning content for my exam and the rest of the year I spent chilling. For the most part of maths apart from C2 it has worked excellently. As for physics and chemistry 3 days was too much time but probably shouldn't have spent 1.5 days on bio..nonetheless a B for bio is still good in my books. If I was doing btec i would be struggling because even if i hand in A* worthy work I'd get a D for handing it in late or in spite for ****ing around for the past 3 years, talking about ICT GCSE :frown:( thefeelsman. Exams are easier because they will NEVER ask you something you don't have knowledge on, so go over the edge and it will seem like primary school sats. For example for physics I just barely managed to handle rigid body and 9 dimensional problems so these pathetic questions like a ball dropping in sand was like basic addition haha.

Quick Reply

Latest