The Student Room Group

All my friends never initiate conversation with me

I am a loner. I have 'friends' but it's always an effort to keep in contact with them. They would never initiate conversation with me and they have me on so many social media accounts as well as whatsapp so it's not like I'm not out there or anything. There's no point even having them on there if they ain't gonna talk to me.

I'm just super annoyed because I made effort into making new friends this year. When I see people still having their cliques and friendship groups all since they were like 12 years old (now 22 years old) and I'm here just wishing I had a friend for more than 2 months....Ugh!!!

I don't know what it is about me, but I feel that it's something about me personally that they don't like. But I'm a good person, I treat people well, i'm honest, well-humoured and I can hold a decent conversation.

Let's put it this way. If I didn't message anyone for an entire year, no one would message me first (this happened during my year in industry). Why does a friendship have to be so hard to maintain? Why does every ****ing friend I make just not give a **** afterwards? I try my best to keep the friendship going but surely it's a two-way thing, I can't always try to drag the friendship on.

It was even like this all through primary school, secondary school, university and up to my first job. I still have no friends now and I'm 24 years old. I feel that there is some conspiracy against my life, I don't know what to do or what I'm doing wrong. Help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Story of my life. If it makes you feel any better I'm a human repellent too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
I am a loner. I have 'friends' but it's always an effort to keep in contact with them. They would never initiate conversation with me and they have me on so many social media accounts as well as whatsapp so it's not like I'm not out there or anything. There's no point even having them on there if they ain't gonna talk to me.

I'm just super annoyed because I made effort into making new friends this year. When I see people still having their cliques and friendship groups all since they were like 12 years old (now 22 years old) and I'm here just wishing I had a friend for more than 2 months....Ugh!!!

I don't know what it is about me, but I feel that it's something about me personally that they don't like. But I'm a good person, I treat people well, i'm honest, well-humoured and I can hold a decent conversation.

Let's put it this way. If I didn't message anyone for an entire year, no one would message me first (this happened during my year in industry). Why does a friendship have to be so hard to maintain? Why does every ****ing friend I make just not give a **** afterwards? I try my best to keep the friendship going but surely it's a two-way thing, I can't always try to drag the friendship on.

It was even like this all through primary school, secondary school, university and up to my first job. I still have no friends now and I'm 24 years old. I feel that there is some conspiracy against my life, I don't know what to do or what I'm doing wrong. Help!

OP, 90% of your post described me, I think we should be friends over Skype or something :smile:
OP, 90% of your post described me, I think we should be friends over Skype or something :smile:

Lmao let me join the crew too :lol:
I am in the same position, its a sad life, always been nothing but nice to my 'friends' but everybody forgets me unless I talk to them first. Do they even like me??
Oh please, you're 24. Much too old to be complaining about not having friends. Concentrate on your career instead.
I'm in the same boat, no one gives a crap about me...it's quite sad tbh. I put in the effort and no one makes the same effort back. It's like these people talk out of politeness, every time i initiate the convo
Reply 7
Original post by stevey396
Oh please, you're 24. Much too old to be complaining about not having friends. Concentrate on your career instead.

What does age have to do with being unhappy about my social life? My career is fine thank you very much.

Basically my life...that's why I only call them acquaintances now...

what you gotta do is try to make an effort. Think about it which friends do you talk to the most? Initiate convos, and organise an outing. such as football/basketball/movies/nandos/playstation 4. Anyways if you organise something then they will think of you when they organise something or something comes up and think about common intrests.

If all else fails then you could get a significant other :wink:
Reply 10
Same here 😒 like my friends and I said we'd always stay in contact when we go off to sixth form and meet all the time. They're all at the same school and I go to a different one and it's just like I no longer exist to them which is sad considering we were best friends for the whole of secondary school and were complete strangers now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in the same boat, no one gives a crap about me...it's quite sad tbh. I put in the effort and no one makes the same effort back. It's like these people talk out of politeness, every time i initiate the convo

I had that in year 7....since then I just decided I wasn't gonna give a crap about anyone else in school...I just have acquaintances to hang around with in school just to not look lonely...lmao..life can suck too hard at times...
I feel like everyone feels this way to an extent, so don't feel like you're an anomaly!
Original post by SuperHuman98
what you gotta do is try to make an effort. Think about it which friends do you talk to the most? Initiate convos, and organise an outing. such as football/basketball/movies/nandos/playstation 4. Anyways if you organise something then they will think of you when they organise something or something comes up and think about common intrests.

If all else fails then you could get a significant other :wink:

Don't get me wrong, when I had these 'friends' at school/uni we hung out, had a good time, caught up, etc... But after that? Nada, no talking and then too busy to meet up blah, blah blah. The friendship feels fake. How comes they are too busy to meet up but are more than happy to meet up with other friends? It makes no sense! I know it's something about me, like I have some penis attached to my face or something that repels people away from talking to me. But that is not the case!
Don't get me wrong, when I had these 'friends' at school/uni we hung out, had a good time, caught up, etc... But after that? Nada, no talking and then too busy to meet up blah, blah blah. The friendship feels fake. How comes they are too busy to meet up but are more than happy to meet up with other friends? It makes no sense! I know it's something about me, like I have some penis attached to my face or something that repels people away from talking to me. But that is not the case!

hmm so they just say they are busy and dont give any time when they are free? Yeah, some people are stubborn when it comes to new friends they just stay with their old ones :/.

What are your interests/hobbys?
They aren't really friends then. Get some other friends who care about you enough to talk to you without you having to talk to them.
Original post by SuperHuman98
hmm so they just say they are busy and dont give any time when they are free? Yeah, some people are stubborn when it comes to new friends they just stay with their old ones :/.

What are your interests/hobbys?

I go to the gym, go running, playing football, I used to play badminton and tennis but I'm recovering from a wrist injury. I'm quite a sporty person as you can see

Original post by Trapz99
They aren't really friends then. Get some other friends who care about you enough to talk to you without you having to talk to them.

Can't find any. That's been the problem my whole life.
I go to the gym, go running, playing football, I used to play badminton and tennis but I'm recovering from a wrist injury. I'm quite a sporty person as you can see

Can't find any. That's been the problem my whole life.

Aww..I'm sure you'll find someone..just don't stop being your self...
So you can PM me if you like. :smile:

Also could you draw a fish on your forehead and put some salt on it? Please.
If they do not thrive off you and you do not thrive off them, it is an unworthy friendship that you are maintaining for namesake. You don’t need live long friends like this. Life long friendships just make you vulnerably dependent on other people. You don’t want that.

Free yourself. Live for your own sake. Meet as many decent new people as you can so that you can learn from them and grow as a person- don’t get caught up with how long they’ll stick around. Remember that you are a different person to every different person you know- be creative with your identity and you will attract a variety of interesting people.

I live every day with the weight of knowing I might be completely alone one day on my shoulders- and I have had long periods of complete social isolation that I fear the return of. But I try my best to talk to people and learn from people and find emotional satisfaction in the little things here and there.

I personally know that the choice between loneliness and worthless friends is not an easy one. I think you have to take a risk. Yeah you feel lonely every now and then lacking life long stable friendships but dw there are plenty of people like us out there. And I personally think people who have no close friends are more interesting than people that do.They are mysterious and alluring. People like us can offer such great company. We just gotta put it out there.Stay strong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending