The Student Room Group

does a larger number of students at a uni indicate better social life?

or is it worse for quiet students who want to make friends in halls? i've never been clubbing or anything, i just want people i can hang around with who also want to be with me, my current friends really feel like acquaintances. Texting and calling doesn't satisfy my social needs at all.
Reply 1
Its not so much the Uni but you as an individual who creates the social life.

With lots of students there is a better chance you can find someone who shares the same outlook and wishes not to do clubbing. You have a vision for what you see is a good social life, but be brave and try every experience on offer. Don't turn people down because you think you won't like something. get out there and explore the world at every opportunity.

Please be warned though that the words 'quiet' and 'halls' don't always go together.
Original post by weirdstranger
or is it worse for quiet students who want to make friends in halls? i've never been clubbing or anything, i just want people i can hang around with who also want to be with me, my current friends really feel like acquaintances. Texting and calling doesn't satisfy my social needs at all.

Hey!
Totally get where you're coming from! Making friends and finding your social circle in university can be an exciting but sometimes challenging experience. It's important to remember that there isn't a one-size-fits-all answer to this because everyone's university experience is unique. However, I can offer some general advice that might help.

Living in halls can be a great opportunity to meet new people and make friends. While it's true that more outgoing and extroverted individuals might find it easier to socialize initially, being a quieter or introverted student doesn't mean you won't be able to make friends or have a fulfilling social life.

Here are a few tips for finding like-minded friends in halls:

Be open and approachable: Smile, make eye contact, and be open to conversations with your hallmates. Showing genuine interest in others and being approachable can go a long way in making connections.

Attend hall events and activities: Many halls organize events and social activities to help residents get to know each other. Participate in these activities, whether it's game nights, movie screenings, or shared meals. It provides an opportunity to meet new people in a relaxed and casual setting.

Join societies or clubs: Universities usually have a wide range of societies and clubs catering to different interests and hobbies. Find ones that align with your interests and passions, and join them. This way, you'll have the chance to meet people who share similar hobbies or pursuits, making it easier to connect and bond.

Initiate conversations: Don't be afraid to strike up conversations with your hallmates or classmates. It can be as simple as asking about their interests, courses, or weekend plans. People appreciate genuine interest and are often open to making new friends.

Explore alternative social activities: If clubbing isn't your thing, don't worry! There are plenty of other social activities and gatherings to explore. Look for quieter hangouts, board game nights, or even just inviting a few people for a movie night or coffee. It's all about finding what suits you and your personality.

Remember, making friends takes time, and it's perfectly normal to feel a bit lonely or like your current friends are more like acquaintances. Keep putting yourself out there, be patient, and be yourself. Over time, you'll likely find people who genuinely want to spend time with you and who you genuinely want to be with.

If you're finding it particularly challenging to make friends or feel socially isolated, don't hesitate to reach out to support services available at your university. They can provide guidance and resources to help you navigate social situations and connect with others.

Wishing you all the best in your social journey at university!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
Hi there. I go to a smaller campus ARU Peterborough and have not had an issue with finding friends or having a social life with fellow university students at a smaller campus. I find that being on a smaller campus is of greater benefit as you find you meet more students from other courses that have the same interests as me. Look out for what is going on at your campus. Visit the student union and introduce yourself to see if there are any societies you can join or what is happening that week. On my campus, the SU holds breakfast clubs and at my last attendance, I made a new friend and went out for drinks with them and others the following week. Check out what times of day are busiest on your campus and visit for study or coffee during those times, it is a good way to meet new people, you find if you introduce yourself and smile and begin chatting others will respond who often are looking for new friends as well. So, I do not think the size of campus matters and understand it can be difficult going up to someone new to chat but get involved in activities and you will be well on your way.

ARU Dee
Digital Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending