The Student Room Group

Relationship advice

So after one year, me and my ex have decided to become friends. He initially said that it would be nice to be friends, but I was hesitant as I have moved on and don’t him in my life or want to rekindle any form of relationship whatsoever with him. But after some talking, he seems like he would be a good friend. Knowing me, I have no problem with being friends with exes. Once I’ve lost my romantic feelings for someone, I can easily just be friends. Anyway, at first I would initiate the text conversations and after a while, I feel like he’s been very distant, responds after 5-10minutes and so on. The conversation are very dry. It’s frustrating me. Now he only texts whenever he feels like it. I’m quiet annoyed because I feel so stupid for entertaining him in the first place and given him the chance to become friends. I can’t believe I let him have some sort of control over me for me to feel this frustrated.

Any advice is appreciated.
Hey there, :hello:

It sounds like you're going through a challenging situation with your ex. It's understandable that you were hesitant about establishing a friendship initially, but you decided to give it a try based on the belief that he could be a good friend. It's important to trust your instincts and listen to your feelings.

It can be disappointing and frustrating when the dynamics of a friendship don't match your expectations. It seems like the communication between you and your ex has become one-sided and lacking in engagement, which can leave you feeling annoyed and questioning your decision.

In situations like this, it's crucial to prioritize your own well-being and emotional health. Reflect on what you truly want and what you need from this friendship. If the current arrangement is not bringing you joy or satisfaction, it might be worth considering whether this friendship is serving you in a positive way.

Open and honest communication is key. You could try having a conversation with your ex about your feelings and concerns. Express how you've noticed the shift in communication and how it's affecting you. It's possible that he may not be aware of the impact his actions are having on you. Sharing your thoughts and expectations can help set boundaries and clarify your needs within the friendship.

Remember, friendships should be mutually fulfilling and built on trust and respect. If the dynamics continue to be unsatisfying or if you find that this friendship is causing you more frustration and negative emotions, it's okay to reassess and potentially distance yourself. Surrounding yourself with positive and supportive relationships is important for your overall well-being.

Take care of yourself and trust your instincts as you navigate this situation. You deserve friendships that bring you happiness and fulfillment. :grin:
Reply 2
Wow, a whole FIVE MINUTES before he responds to a text message? That's absolutely terrible. I mean, he should on sit on his phone all day so he can immediately reply to your very urgent messages!

Or you should accept that he has a life, you are a friend and no longer number one priority, and if you want instant back-and-forth you should phone him or meet up to talk. He doesn't have any control over you; you seem to be making more of this than it is.
Reply 3
Original post by Surnia
Wow, a whole FIVE MINUTES before he responds to a text message? That's absolutely terrible. I mean, he should on sit on his phone all day so he can immediately reply to your very urgent messages!

Or you should accept that he has a life, you are a friend and no longer number one priority, and if you want instant back-and-forth you should phone him or meet up to talk. He doesn't have any control over you; you seem to be making more of this than it is.

We text during quiet times of the day, specifically during the night where he’s probably watching tv and or in bed. I’m more frustrated by the fact that initially we would text a good half an hour of the day then after awhile he’s being very distant and replies after a while. It’s like he’s using me for whenever he needs or wants to talk, and here I am who would respond instantly. If he’s realised he doesn’t actually want to be friend or can’t be friends, then fair enough, just say so. He’s the one who wanted to be “friends”.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending