The Student Room Group

Are ex-poly/non RG academics rare?

I've been sifting through numerous university staff list pages and checking out the credentials of various professors. It seems that 9/10 times they are from RG/Oxrbridge. This is understandable as RG/Oxbridge are harder to get into than ex-polys, and therefore they would be more likely to produce graduates of a higher calibre, but it made me wonder: are ex-poly students disadvantaged when applying for post-graduate positions? Why is there such a discrepancy in the academia?

Moreover, do you know any good professors who obtained their BA/Bsc in an ex-poly?
If you lacked the intelligence to get into a RG uni then I very much doubt you're cut out for academia.
Original post by Archdukes
I've been sifting through numerous university staff list pages and checking out the credentials of various professors. It seems that 9/10 times they are from RG/Oxrbridge.

Get a life man.

And I'm sure there are plenty of good professors educated at non-RG unis. Depending on what you deem 'good'.
Reply 3
Original post by stevey396
If you lacked the intelligence to get into a RG uni then I very much doubt you're cut out for academia.

Mr. Powell, I would love nothing more than to prove you wrong.

Original post by pmc:producer
Get a life man.And I'm sure there are plenty of good professors educated at non-RG unis. Depending on what you deem 'good'.

I'm obsessive about proving my biases.
Original post by pmc:producer
Get a life man.

And I'm sure there are plenty of good professors educated at non-RG unis. Depending on what you deem 'good'.

Well if you go to a non-RG for undergrad, then chances up you'll end up at a non-RG for postgrad/PhD. Then when it comes to applying for academic positions you'll be in direct competition with those from RG unis, who will certainly be better prepared for the job.

This is the most ignorant statement I've ever read. :erm: You're not even taking account that people may do better at degree level after receiving a bad education, or they may just find their calling and be more serious at university.
Some people may prefer to go to a non RG university anyway, and there are many good non RG universities.
Original post by Pokémontrainer
This is the most ignorant statement I've ever read. :erm: You're not even taking account that people may do better at degree level after receiving a bad education, or they may just find their calling and be more serious at university.
Some people may prefer to go to a non RG university anyway, and there are many good non RG universities.

Why can't I rep you? :s-smilie:

But anyway, agreed :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pokémontrainer

I don't think that guy's to be taken seriously. Some of his other posts are just as stupid :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by Student403
I don't think that guy's to be taken seriously. Some of his other posts are just as stupid :tongue:

He does make a fair point here though. I have a firm at a RG uni, but I'm just trying to justify myself emotionally if I do end up going to my non-RG (RHUL) uni. It is indeed true, to a certain extent, that RG unis prepare you better for post-grad. However, it could also be argued that as RG universities are research intensive, and conversely, non-RG uni's prioritise teaching, you will receive a better education at a non-RG university as most of the lecturers are also full-time academics dedicated to their own research and supervision. (Assuming it's decent and at least top 30-40).
He does make a fair point here though. I have a firm at a RG uni, but I'm just trying to justify myself emotionally if I do end up going to my non-RG (RHUL) uni. It is indeed true, to a certain extent, that RG unis prepare you better for post-grad. However, it could also be argued that as RG universities are research intensive, and conversely, non-RG uni's prioritise teaching, you will receive a better education at a non-RG university. (Assuming it's decent and at least top 30-40).

I was referring to this:

You call this a fair point?

Yeah, and the Enoch Powell avatar... :erm:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
I was referring to this:

You call this a fair point?

My bad, I was referring to this.

Well if you go to a non-RG for undergrad, then chances up you'll end up at a non-RG for postgrad/PhD. [< This part isn't entirely true as I have direct anecdotal evidence of people I know from ex-poly's who wrote amazing dissertations, astounding research proposals and perfect references who went on to study MA/Mphil at Durham/Oxford/Sheffield] Then when it comes to applying for academic positions you'll be in direct competition with those from RG unis, who will certainly be better prepared for the job.
He does make a fair point here though. I have a firm at a RG uni, but I'm just trying to justify myself emotionally if I do end up going to my non-RG (RHUL) uni. It is indeed true, to a certain extent, that RG unis prepare you better for post-grad. However, it could also be argued that as RG universities are research intensive, and conversely, non-RG uni's prioritise teaching, you will receive a better education at a non-RG university as most of the lecturers are also full-time academics dedicated to their own research and supervision. (Assuming it's decent and at least top 30-40).

One of my good friends did his undergrad at RHUL, he's currently in his 3rd year PhD for Astrophysics at Warwick
No,there are lots of them around,although I agree lots of RG unis are dominated by Oxbridge academics.
Well if you go to a non-RG for undergrad, then chances up you'll end up at a non-RG for postgrad/PhD. Then when it comes to applying for academic positions you'll be in direct competition with those from RG unis, who will certainly be better prepared for the job.

Your theory relies on a lot of hypotheticals. The question wasn't are RG professors better, rather are non RG professors good - to which the answer is obviously yes.

And believe me, as someone who studies at an RG uni (and I'm sure I'm not alone when I say this) - some of the teaching is questionable.

Just because a pHD student doesn't carry the weight of an RG supervisor doesn't mean he's any less equipped to facilitate world-leading research and it's ignorant to suggest otherwise.

Quick Reply

Latest