The Student Room Group

Why is it still looked down upon to attend an ex polytechnic university

I’ve always wondered this, I’ve had offers from a mixture of universities but many elders say don’t go for them as they aren’t as good and aren’t as employable.

At the end of the day it’s a similar degree with the same name so why do employers seem to care so much about this?

I’m wondering whether to go through clearing and attend a different university as I have settled on an ex poly.
Reply 1
Original post by greentiger
I’ve always wondered this, I’ve had offers from a mixture of universities but many elders say don’t go for them as they aren’t as good and aren’t as employable.

At the end of the day it’s a similar degree with the same name so why do employers seem to care so much about this?

I’m wondering whether to go through clearing and attend a different university as I have settled on an ex poly.

Employers don't care - in fact non-RG degrees are often better prep for the workplace. I have students who've studied Engineering with a year in industry at Brookes get jobs ahead of Oxbriidge grads.
I'm suprised if people under 30 even know what a polytechnic is or was tbh.

It's less and less relevant now, although my mates did enjoy ribbing me about going to an ex-poly rather than a 'real' uni. (This was a fair while ago.)
Reply 3
I don't know anybody that cares, either in industry or in academia.
Reply 4
Original post by greentiger

It's not looked down on. At least not by those who aren't ignorant. Most of the newer universities are hands down better than their red brick counterparts for the likes of undergraduate degrees. They prioritise teaching and the student experience over research and prestige. Similarly they are more likely to offer flexible degree courses, pastoral support and extras to enhance your skills and knowledge. By contrast, the red brick brigade sell their brand based purely on image and you only have to see the myriad of posts asking things like "Which is best, Exeter or Manchester for prestige" to see that it clearly works even though pretty much no employer cares about the colour of your tie.
I was about to say youngsters will not know what that term means.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending