The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
Question is 1 root not atleast. English muons idea is the best I feel, I would write it like this,
the curve is strictly increasing hence does not turn and come back for another root.
-infinity to infinity so it crosses atleast once, since it is strictly increasing it crosses exactly once.
For the atleast once root you can just say complex solutions come in pairs hence atleast one real root.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said that you use bolzano's theorem with the fact that the function is strictly increasing thus 1-1.
Edit: actually what I said was your second solution just in a more formalistic way.
(edited 7 years ago)
Question is 1 root not atleast. English muons idea is the best I feel, I would write it like this,
the curve is strictly increasing hence does not turn and come back for another root.
-infinity to infinity so it crosses atleast once, since it is strictly increasing it crosses exactly once.
For the atleast once root you can just say complex solutions come in pairs hence atleast one real root.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Vesniep
I said that you use bolzano's theorem with the fact that the function is strictly increasing thus 1-1.
Edit: actually what I said was your second solution just in a more formalistic way.

Ah ok, thanks for advice :smile:
A question about STEP III 2015

Spoiler

Original post by IrrationalRoot
A question about STEP III 2015

Spoiler

perfectly fine. I actually said this a few posts ago :smile: although for a different question.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Thanks for the words of hope mate :smile:

What did he get in his A levels?

He did get 3A*s so that may have contributed, not sure. His step score wasn't good though I know that, he was certain he hadn't got in when he got his step results (they come out a few hours before A-Level/UCAS)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vesniep

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by 16Characters....

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by sweeneyrod

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by 16Characters....

Spoiler

Didn't do it as well , for the same reason.

Spoiler

Original post by Vesniep
Didn't do it as well , for the same reason.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by jjsnyder
He did get 3A*s so that may have contributed, not sure. His step score wasn't good though I know that, he was certain he hadn't got in when he got his step results (they come out a few hours before A-Level/UCAS)

Posted from TSR Mobile

dont they update at 12 midnight on results day morning same as ucas track?
Original post by Number Nine

Well done.

I did STEP III 2015 yesterday, feel like I did quite well, finishing 5 questions and doing the first part from a sixth. But I'm scared to look at the mark scheme.
Reply 852
Anyone have advice for binomial expansion questions? As in finding general terms when two expansions are divided etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Na, step is out at 12, UCAS updates at 8am.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fa991
Anyone have advice for binomial expansion questions? As in finding general terms when two expansions are divided etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess it really does just come down to case work tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 855
I guess it really does just come down to case work tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I see, I think I just assumed there were neat tricks but I suppose case work isn't too bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone come across any interesting/challenging qs from the older papers now theyve finished the new ones? I just had a look at I '98 and some of the qs couldve come straight from an A level paper.

I remember he got his STEP at midnight, but UCAS didn't come until later for some reason. They closed it as they had problems with too much traffic I think. Which I've heard happens quite regularly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EnglishMuon
Has anyone come across any interesting/challenging qs from the older papers now theyve finished the new ones? I just had a look at I '98 and some of the qs couldve come straight from an A level paper.

II 1991 has some nice Qs. Particularly Q5 :smile:.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
II 1991 has some nice Qs. Particularly Q5 :smile:.

ah haha thank u but unbelievably I randomly picked that q to do the other day! It was a nice one tho, had a bit of everything!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending