The Student Room Group

Moving out of accomodation

Does anyone know if universities require you to move out of halls at the end of every term? I'm going into my first year in September and i've been told that usually universities make you move out of halls for the holidays in between each term so that they can rent out your room to others. Is this true, is it university specific, or do all unis require you to do this? I was under the impression that when you pay for halls, I know for where I'm going the tenancy agreement is to pay for 39 weeks a year, that you are paying to rent your room throughout the year and that you only have to move out at the end of the year?

Can anyone clarify this, I expect I was wrong but it sounds like such a hassle to move all your stuff out 3 times a year! Thanks
Reply 1
You didn't have to do that at my halls in Dundee. That's ridiculous imo.
Reply 2
Original post by Airmed
You didn't have to do that at my halls in Dundee. That's ridiculous imo.

Okay, really hope I don't have to do that either! I knew it sounded ridiculous, I just hope my uni isn't some weird exception or something, my mum seemed to think that all unis did this but I was skeptical...
Reply 3
Original post by bullseye1
Okay, really hope I don't have to do that either! I knew it sounded ridiculous, I just hope my uni isn't some weird exception or something, my mum seemed to think that all unis did this but I was skeptical...

Phone up and ask. :yep: But I doubt it, seriously.

It should make it clear in the information - I think having to empty your room is pretty rare these days.
Reply 5
Does anyone know if universities require you to move out of halls at the end of every term? I'm going into my first year in September and i've been told that usually universities make you move out of halls for the holidays in between each term so that they can rent out your room to others. Is this true, is it university specific, or do all unis require you to do this? I was under the impression that when you pay for halls, I know for where I'm going the tenancy agreement is to pay for 39 weeks a year, that you are paying to rent your room throughout the year and that you only have to move out at the end of the year?

Can anyone clarify this, I expect I was wrong but it sounds like such a hassle to move all your stuff out 3 times a year! Thanks

Only uni I know that does that is Cambridge, so generally no you shouldn't have to do that
Didn't have to at my halls but I know when I went to an open day at Keele they said one of the halls needed you to move out at Christmas for 2 weeks while they rented it out. It depends on the uni. The vast majority don't do that though!
Reply 7
Original post by ThePhoenixLament
Didn't have to at my halls but I know when I went to an open day at Keele they said one of the halls needed you to move out at Christmas for 2 weeks while they rented it out. It depends on the uni. The vast majority don't do that though!

Okay, sounds like them asking you to move out is either limited to only a few unis and is quite outdated, probably why my mum thinks it still happens. Thanks!
It depends on the uni and the contract you're on...I'm on a 40 week contract so i don't need to

For a 39 week contract you should have the room during holidays. Some universities offer a contract around 32 weeks which doesn't include holidays.
some do, some don't... I'd imagine you'd have seen somewhere stating it by now if you're halls required you to move out
No. You don't have to move out after each term. You're contracted to the room for the academic year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending