The Student Room Group

Things to look for in student accom?

Hi everyone, I’m going to see some student accommodation today and was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what to look for and ask while I’m there? Or if you know any websites to refer to that would be great.

Thank you so much :smile:
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by cherryblossomed
Hi everyone, I’m going to see some student accommodation today and was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what to look for and ask while I’m there? Or if you know any websites to refer too that would be great.

Thank yo so much :smile:

Hi @cherryblossomed,

Just checking in to see how the student accomodation viewing went?

It's great that you've decided to go along to view some accomodation in person as this is the best way to get a feel for what life will be like living as a student at your university. Most accomodation tours will be carried out by current students who are the best people to ask your questions to as they can give you advice from their experiences. It's good to ask what the accomodation will include, does it include all bills, Wi-Fi, a laundrette? Ask about the ensuite options available and costs if that's something you'd prefer? When looking at student accomodation, it's good to have a think about the distance you would need to travel to campus and if this is something you are happy doing everyday to get to your classes.

Let me know if you have any questions about accomodation or student life and I'd be happy to help. 😊

Best wishes,
Sarah
Hi everyone, I’m going to see some student accommodation today and was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what to look for and ask while I’m there? Or if you know any websites to refer too that would be great.

Hi!

I might be a little too late but I'll add on incase anyone else has the same question. As Sarah said above travel time to your classes is a great one to think about, I also like to ask what is included in the rooms (ie, in uni accommodation for me we got a lamp and some cleaning supplies so I didn't need to bring my own). Also how many people share a kitchen is great to ask so you can size up how much room there'll be.
Another thing to think about is if there are social spaces, distance to get to a laundry room, if they put on events during the year and you can even start thinking about preference for where your room is as normally if you are early enough some universities let you request certain things from your room or even pick the exact room yourself! For requesting or picking a room the main kind of things to think about is if you want to be on a higher or lower floor, if you need anything specific for accessibility and if you are going to the same university as someone else and want to try and get in the same kitchen.

I hope this helps!

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

@cherryblossomed

Lighting! Look at for how much natural light the room gets and the positioning of electrical lights. Will you need to buy a table lamp?

Look at for where the desk is positioned. If it is next to the window, think about drafts during the winter. Check what the heating is like in the building and the room.

Check whether the window has blinds or curtains (another heat factor) but also think about what your preference is. You can adjust lighting with blinds but with curtains they are basically open or closed.

Think about storage space for clothes, books etc...

Ask out about shared utilities e.g. vacuum cleaner, kettle etc...

Finally, find out if there is a cleaner who comes once a week to clean the kitchen or if it's left completely to the students.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi there,

Have a look at the laundry and ask how much it costs and how it works. Also, look at common room. It should be spacious and include a few games at least.

I would also ask where are the rubbish bins are located and whether it is far away from blocks.

In addition to that, I would also enquire about cancellation policies, because they are usually very complicated, and I think it is an important thing to know in adcance.

Let me know if you have any questions,
Ilya :smile:

Hi there

How did the viewing going?

I think some things that you could consider when choosing your accommodation would be: the lighting, ventilation of your room. I would also recommend having a look at the facilities such as: common rooms, kitchens, bathrooms, showers and how well maintained they are. Good luck in securing a good accommodation.

Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Hiya,

As everyone has said hope the viewings went well! Some ambassadors have already suggested and pointed out some really useful things!

From reading the replies I would suggest looking at location of the accommodation as you would want it close to campus but also supermarkets - you do not want to be walking very far to do your food shopping especially if your bags are very heavy! Also just in general is the accommodation in a nice area, will it be loud at night, if you are thinking of commuting is there space to park etc. I chose to live on a higher floor of my building for example to hopefully hear less foot traffic and I can feel safe by having my windows open at night. I also strongly agree with the others to look at tenancy agreements carefully as they can be quite complicated to get out of if you aren't happy and also speak to students at the university for their opinions this can be on Open Days or social platforms for example at DMU we have chat to us where you can speak to students like myself regarding university.

Here is a few helpful websites I looked at
https://study-uk.britishcouncil.org/blog/10-things-to-consider-when-choosing-student-accommodation-in-uk
https://www.lulworthstudentcompany.co.uk/blog/6-things-to-consider-when-choosing-student-accommodation-at-uni
https://www.student.com/articles/student-accommodation-viewing-guide#:~:text=You%20should%20look%20for%20droppings,re%20doing%20a%20viewing%20anyways.

Hope this helps,

Maddie, second year Health and well-being student at De Montfort University

Hey there @cherryblossomed !

Things that I looked for when choosing accommodation were:
1) Location of sockets in the room (were they close to the bed and did you have enough?)
2) Wifi (is there a wifi booster point in your room?)
3) Laundry facilities (how much did it cost and is there a lot of them for how big the building is?)
4) Room aesthetic (could you make this room feel homely and nicely decorated?)
5) Bathrooms (Is the bathroom nice and is there good storage or space for storage in there?)
6) Heating (Does the heating work well for when it's going to be cold in the Winter?)
7) Social aspects (do they regularly host events in the accommodation that encourage people to be social)
8 ) Concierge service (is there somewhere safe they can collect your letters and parcels?)
9) Amenities that come with a flat (do they provide a vacuum, kettle, microwave, toaster etc.)
10) Kitchen storage (Is there enough cupboard/draw and fridge/freezer space to fit everything in?)
11) Price (how much is the deposit and weekly rent?)
12) Location (how close is it in relation to campus, nightlife, supermarkets and local amenities?)

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
thank you so much, everyone! the viewing went well and i did find a place i liked 8 minutes away from my uni! the only thing i forgot to ask was about the bins and vaccums but all the suggestions were super helpful! i really appreciate all your help :smile:)
thank you so much, everyone! the viewing went well and i did find a place i liked 8 minutes away from my uni! the only thing i forgot to ask was about the bins and vaccums but all the suggestions were super helpful! i really appreciate all your help :smile:)

Hi @cherryblossomed 😊

I'm so glad that your viewing went well and you've found a place you liked nice and close to campus. I found living close to campus really useful as it meant I didn't have to worry about being late and had easy access to all the facilities. Don't worry about forgetting to ask about bins and vacuums as you should be shown where all these bits are when you move in and they are usually quite close to the accomodation.

All the best,
Sarah

Hiya!

Oh that's great news and yay it's all sorted before the holidays! 8 minutes is a great location from campus - the quick walk is just enough to wake you up before you sit down for your lectures and convenient to head back between gaps and / or use all the facilities at the university; I live a 10 minute walk from campus and 15 from my main building. I wouldn't worry about forgetting to ask about vacuums and bins etc and it might even be featured on the website somewhere or they may have a web chat option where you can ask.

Exciting it won't be long before you are moving in!

-Maddie, second year Health and well-being student at De Montfort University
Hi everyone, I’m going to see some student accommodation today and was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what to look for and ask while I’m there? Or if you know any websites to refer to that would be great.

Thank you so much :smile:

Hello there! 😊
That's awesome that you're checking out student accommodation! It's a crucial decision, and I'm happy to share some tips. When visiting, consider checking:

Amenities: Look for facilities like common areas, study spaces, and laundry facilities.

Location: Check the proximity to your university, grocery stores, and public transport.

Safety: Ensure the area is secure, and ask about security measures in place.

Internet and Utilities: Inquire about the quality of internet and if utilities are included.

Community Atmosphere: Get a feel for the community vibe is it social or more focused on studying?

As for websites, you might find platforms like
https://www.whatuni.com/advice/accommodation/5-things-to-know-about-student-accommodation-before-you-move-in/74329/
https://www.martinco.com/news/5-ways-to-prepare-for-moving-into-student-accommodation
https://www.cjhole.co.uk/news/9-things-to-consider-when-moving-from-halls-to-a-student-house
helpful for reviews and insights. Best of luck with your search! 🏡✨
I hope this is helpful.
Kind regards,
Mrunali Kalbhor,
University of Sunderland Student ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending