The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rohanpritchard
I thought that is was not a hard paper, but also not my kind of paper... If that makes any sense. I managed 4 full solutions and 1 quarter(ish) solution, although inevitably I'll lose a few of those marks here and there. I need a Grade 2 so unless this year was SUPER easy and the grade boundaries are very high... I think it should be okay? Anyone fancy predicting boundaries? :wink:

Congrats dude sounds like you did pretty well!
Original post by rohanpritchard
DON'T DISCUSS SOLUTIONS UNTIL 9 AM TOMORROW. It's for all of our benefit :smile:

ooopsies sorry
One of the questions I found ridiculously easy so I'm pretty sure I messed that up :biggrin:
Well trued 7 got quite a few fulls.
I should get the grade i need/want.
Just dissapointed i made a mistake in algebra in my favourite topic on step.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Predictions for grade 2/ grade 1 boundaries? This is the first STEP paper I've ever done (yes I literally went in to the hall and attempted to wing it) and I think i got about 55-60...what's that equivalent to?
That was...alright? I'm surprised :smile:
Original post by kelvin1338
Predictions for grade 2/ grade 1 boundaries? This is the first STEP paper I've ever done (yes I literally went in to the hall and attempted to wing it) and I think i got about 55-60...what's that equivalent to?

Wow that takes balls... :L I read somewhere the average STEP1 Grade 2 boundary is 52 (although I think that was average from 2000-2012), so you may get a Grade 2. I think this was easier than average though so perhaps 60-65 for a Grade 2? I've done quite a few past papers but don't take my word on it I'm only guessing! :smile:
I'll be lucky if I get a 3. RIP Imperial offer

Sounds like a 2 to me if similar to previous years, but maybe a 3 if you're unlucky.

You did no prep at all?!

55-60 marks out of 120? I'd **guess** a 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I dont know how it went really, attempted 8 but made a couple of slips on about 3/4 of them. luckily I dont think anything major tho. I would be pretty confident at an S but i bet there are high grade boundaries.

(Hopefully this isnt going into too much detail!)
Original post by js.int
I found it much harder than 2015... I only got 2 full solutions and 2 halves (and a few marks extra for the 2 other questions I started on).

How many marks do you think you got?

almost the same.I only got 2 full solutions , 1 half and some extra marks for rest of 3 questions?
Tried 7 got a few fulls and a few decent partials,

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought that was very difficult, but I still got 3 fulls and the rest partials. Bit annoyed with myself considering the amount of revision I did, oh well.

Good luck with STEP 2 and STEP 3 you nutters
Original post by jneill
You did no prep at all?!

55-60 marks out of 120? I'd **guess** a 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No prep at all indeed. It only lowers my offer MMORSE at Warwick from A*AA to AAA if I get a 2 in it. It's not compulsory for me. Also I am taking AEA on June 30th and if I pass that, my offer gets lowered down to AAA as well
No prep at all indeed. It only lowers my offer MMORSE at Warwick from A*AA to AAA if I get a 2 in it. It's not compulsory for me. Also I am taking AEA on June 30th and if I pass that, my offer gets lowered down to AAA as well

You can see previous grade boundaries in the OP

Chart here:
Found that paper really tough although if you are a mathmo maybe it was more reasonable. As an engineer I thought it was horrible, most of the topics I liked and have been doing well in practice papers barely came up, loads on the topics I had planned on avoiding did. My offer is (..was? :frown: ) for engineering at Peterhouse but I'm 100% sure I've missed a 1. I've been practicing since September before I even had an offer, so gutted that I barely had a chance to show what I could actually do :frown:

Managed one perfect full solution, one almost full solution, then part of question 2 and a few other random bits and pieces from other questions, reckon I'm on about 45.

Any other engineers taking it? If so how did you find it?
I've got to have got the lowest score of anyone taking STEP II and III xD
Was ok.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gwenuin
Found that paper really tough although if you are a mathmo maybe it was more reasonable. As an engineer I thought it was horrible, most of the topics I liked and have been doing well in practice papers barely came up, loads on the topics I had planned on avoiding did. My offer is (..was? :frown: ) for engineering at Peterhouse but I'm 100% sure I've missed a 1. I've been practicing since September before I even had an offer, so gutted that I barely had a chance to show what I could actually do :frown:

Managed one perfect full solution, one almost full solution, then part of question 2 and a few other random bits and pieces from other questions, reckon I'm on about 45.

Any other engineers taking it? If so how did you find it?

i'm got an offer for maths (at Peterhouse too) but only for step 2 and 3 but I thought may as well do step 1 if it's easy lol how wrong i was
I did pretty much the same amount as you in the exam and i can safely say it was by a clear solid mile the worst step paper I have done including step 3 past papers not a single nice question. i am expecting a U. 2015 step 1 was a literal piece of cake i managed to do around 7 or 8 full solutions but i just scraped 2 in this exam
i think this paper could be used as a method of torture

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending