The Student Room Group

Mei ocr d1 2016

Scroll to see replies

Oh thank god! I didnt get anything down for the last part of the LP. Didnt have a chuffing clue how to go about it!
For the linear programme did anyone get x=12, y=0 and z=8?! Two of our class got that and no one else managed to do the question 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fugro123
For the linear programme did anyone get x=12, y=0 and z=8?! Two of our class got that and no one else managed to do the question 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got that and then put that this minimised the wastage to 104cm^2.
Original post by Connorbwfc
I got that and then put that this minimised the wastage to 104cm^2.

Yeah it was like (0.8+12(0.06)+8(0.04)) don't know if that's actually it but rings a bell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah it was like (0.8+12(0.06)+8(0.04)) don't know if that's actually it but rings a bell

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actaully I forgot to account for the fact that x, y and z were in metres and the waste length was in centimetres, so my value for wastage is wrong.

One mark dropped.

I think the wastage is 1.04m^2 or 10400cm^2.
(edited 7 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

In which case I got the wastage wrong since I don't think I needed to add the 0.8 from before aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WhiteBison
Don't worry too much about it. It was an abnormal paper, and the removal of the buffer of a Section B simulation question, combined with the 3-dimensional LP (which, fyi, is extension material in the textbook), means that the grade boundaries will be low.

Jan 09 had a similar one involving 3 variables, although I'd say this year's one was harder.
If I do badly in this module (say around 70-80 ums) will this affect my chances of applying to top unis considering my other modules are in the 90s?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by phoebeisgreat
If I do badly in this module (say around 70-80 ums) will this affect my chances of applying to top unis considering my other modules are in the 90s?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless the university asks for your individual module marks, which very few do, (in my experience Cambridge and Imperial asked me), then it's only the overall grade that would matter when applying, as because it's only an AS, an A is the highest you can get which requires an average of 80 so you'd probably be ok, considering your teacher is happy to predict you a good grade for A2.
Original post by Alex621
Unless the university asks for your individual module marks, which very few do, (in my experience Cambridge and Imperial asked me), then it's only the overall grade that would matter when applying, as because it's only an AS, an A is the highest you can get which requires an average of 80 so you'd probably be ok, considering your teacher is happy to predict you a good grade for A2.

I'm thinking of applying to cambridge though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I imagine, maybe, maybe not. Surely regardless of that all you can do is make sure you're getting 90+ in every other module.

Personally, I doubt a just-under-good score in D1 will make that much of a difference, but that's just me

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it will be ok, although if you did get around 70-80 it's probably worth retaking just to make an A* easier next year. I got invited to interview with a few bad modules so as long as you get to that stage the UMS kind of becomes less important as from then on they'll judge you strongly by interview performance. Do you want to apply for maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't D1 being discontinued? I seem to remember my teacher telling me earlier in the year, that after 2016 it's no longer being considered a viable module.

If that's the case, then it kind of implies that D1 isn't the most prestigious candidate-distinguishing module for universities, so you'll probably be just fine. If you're getting 90s+ in your other modules, I'd be very surprised if they cared.

The only thing I'd suggest is that, if it brings your overall UMS average quite a bit lower than they'd like, then you should bring to their attention your average UMS without D1, and tell them that it was a D1 exam anomaly. Idk, just a thought.
Original post by Alex621
I think it will be ok, although if you did get around 70-80 it's probably worth retaking just to make an A* easier next year. I got invited to interview with a few bad modules so as long as you get to that stage the UMS kind of becomes less important as from then on they'll judge you strongly by interview performance. Do you want to apply for maths?

Ah thank you-this has made me slightly happier! Yes, I want to apply for maths- did you apply? If so how did your application go??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WhiteBison
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't D1 being discontinued? I seem to remember my teacher telling me earlier in the year, that after 2016 it's no longer being considered a viable module.

If that's the case, then it kind of implies that D1 isn't the most prestigious candidate-distinguishing module for universities, so you'll probably be just fine. If you're getting 90s+ in your other modules, I'd be very surprised if they cared.

The only thing I'd suggest is that, if it brings your overall UMS average quite a bit lower than they'd like, then you should bring to their attention your average UMS without D1, and tell them that it was a D1 exam anomaly. Idk, just a thought.

Thank you for your reply-they really should discontinue d1 in my opinion...it's practically not maths!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah thank you-this has made me slightly happier! Yes, I want to apply for maths- did you apply? If so how did your application go??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied for Physical Natural Sciences as a post a-level applicant so I already had my A2 grades, but I got rejected after interview, I got rejected by Imperial too and now I've firmed Warwick to start Maths and Physics in October :smile:

Good luck with your application!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Alex621
I applied for Physical Natural Sciences as a post a-level applicant so I already had my A2 grades, but I got rejected after interview, I got rejected by Imerial too and now I've firmed Warwick to start Maths and Physics in October :smile:

Good luck with your application!

wow well done! warwick's awesome :biggrin: thank you
Thank you for your reply-they really should discontinue d1 in my opinion...it's practically not maths!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problemo. Good luck with the application o7
here is a Hitler reaction video for this paper:

http://captiongenerator.com/94120/Hitler-Reacts-To-MEI-OCR-D1-June-16

*pretty tame language*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending