The Student Room Group

Edexcel - D2 / M2 / FP3?

:wavey:

I have finished the second year of a maths degree and am doing a placement year, and for whatever reason am thinking of doing AS AFM. (Yes, you don't need to tell me that there is little to no point of doing so, as I would like to do it :lol:)

I've done S1-4, M1 and D1 at A-level so my options are M2-5, FP3 and D2, and I'm really not a mechanics type person so I think the options in the title are most suitable for me. I've looked at the spec for all of them and M2 seems quite icky - but is it really that bad?

I guess I'm just asking about how people find M2 / D2 in particular. I've seen a fair bit of FP3 in uni work anyway.

Edit - having thought about it more (looking at exam fees, mainly) I've decided just to study D2 and do more productive things and spend the money on something else. :doh: but thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Might I ask why you would want to do AFM having done 2 years of uni maths?
Original post by NotNotBatman
Might I ask why you would want to do AFM having done 2 years of uni maths?

Saw it coming :lol:

It's just a challenge, I suppose, (And D2 looks like a basis for some uni stuff that I'll be studying in the third year. :dontknow:) don't really want to get rusty on my year off!
I personally find M2 is reasonably nice, can't speak for D2 or FP3 (although the FP2 exam this year was ridiculously hard, much harder than M2).

There is really not that much content in M2, once you get your head round each concept you are good to go and can apply the ideas to a range of situations.

EDIT: I am planning on trying to redo FP2 next year after my abysmal performance just for honour :tongue: so I can't bash what you want to do
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM

It's just a challenge, I suppose, (And D2 looks like a basis for some uni stuff that I'll be studying in the third year. :dontknow:) don't really want to get rusty on my year off!

You`ve done 2 years of uni maths and A2 FM is a challenge ?Do Putnam if you want a challenge.
Original post by Kadak
You`ve done 2 years of uni maths and A2 FM is a challenge ?Do Putnam if you want a challenge.

I've avoided studying anything mechanics related since the first year - I just can't do it!

It's more of a challenge in that I'll be juggling learning a few languages, doing my placement, doing a bit of share investing etc. You have every right to think that it is weird, though. :rofl:
Original post by Music With Rocks
I personally find M2 is reasonably nice, can't speak for D2 or FP3 (although the FP2 exam this year was ridiculously hard, much harder than M2).

There is really not that much content in M2, once you get your head round each concept you are good to go and can apply the ideas to a range of situations.

EDIT: I am planning on trying to redo FP2 next year after my abysmal performance just for honour :tongue: so I can't bash what you want to do

Cheers - that is the kind of thing I was hoping to hear.

Good luck with FP2 :h:
Original post by SeanFM
I've avoided studying anything mechanics related since the first year - I just can't do it!

It's more of a challenge in that I'll be juggling learning a few languages, doing my placement, doing a bit of share investing etc. You have every right to think that it is weird, though. :rofl:

In that case do D2,it has some game theory in it which is interesting. M2 is just an extension of M1 to be honest,not really a big step up.
Reply 8
M2 would be easy to understand I guess for someone your level but its hard to get used to some of the question they throw at you in the exam apart from a few ones like Collisions. D2 Ive yet to start but it looks pretty non mathsy more than D1.
Original post by SeanFM

I can only give my view on D2, as it's the only one I've done out of the ones you've mentioned. It's quite interesting, the graph theory and optimisation problems can be thought of in real life scenarios, which makes it quite fascinating. Although it's annoying how all the benefits of the graph theory aren't utilised due to exam time constraints. If it's the basis of 3rd year stuff, then it seems like a sensible option.
Original post by fpmaniac
M2 would be easy to understand I guess for someone your level but its hard to get used to some of the question they throw at you in the exam apart from a few ones like Collisions. D2 Ive yet to start but it looks pretty non mathsy more than D1.

I get you, yeah, and I can definitely imagine it throwing you like weird questions that are really icky. :s-smilie: but nothing that a bit of practice won't solve :lol: I hope :hide:

Original post by NotNotBatman
I can only give my view on D2, as it's the only one I've done out of the ones you've mentioned. It's quite interesting, the graph theory and optimisation problems can be thought of in real life scenarios, which makes it quite fascinating. Although it's annoying how all the benefits of the graph theory aren't utilised due to exam time constraints. If it's the basis of 3rd year stuff, then it seems like a sensible option.

Yeah, graph theory and optimisation is exactly what I'm studying later so it'll definitely be handy. So it's like D1 in that you're working for the full 1h30? :s-smilie:
Original post by SeanFM
I get you, yeah, and I can definitely imagine it throwing you like weird questions that are really icky. :s-smilie: but nothing that a bit of practice won't solve :lol: I hope :hide:

Yeah, graph theory and optimisation is exactly what I'm studying later so it'll definitely be handy. So it's like D1 in that you're working for the full 1h30? :s-smilie:

I haven't done a full D2 paper yet, but have done some exam questions and they do take a while, especially simplex problems and Dynamic programming. But a lot of the questions are nice and easy to do if you know the algorithm (same question different number type). The grade boundaries are usually quite high on D2 as well, so take that as you will.
Original post by SeanFM

I have finished the second year of a maths degree and am doing a placement year, and for whatever reason am thinking of doing AS AFM. (Yes, you don't need to tell me that there is little to no point of doing so, as I would like to do it :lol:)

I've done S1-4, M1 and D1 at A-level so my options are M2-5, FP3 and D2, and I'm really not a mechanics type person so I think the options in the title are most suitable for me. I've looked at the spec for all of them and M2 seems quite icky - but is it really that bad?

I guess I'm just asking about how people find M2 / D2 in particular. I've seen a fair bit of FP3 in uni work anyway.

I'll preface this by saying that in my personal opinion is that it would be far more beneficial to look at challenge problems or work through undergraduate textbooks. However seeing as you asked, I will try to answer. You would have already covered FP3, but possibly not the entirety of M2 so it is the most worthwhile module. The content of M2 isn't difficult, but it can be challenging to get an A*. I can't comment on D2.
Original post by ThatPerson
I'll preface this by saying that in my personal opinion is that it would be far more beneficial to look at challenge problems or work through undergraduate textbooks. However seeing as you asked, I will try to answer. You would have already covered FP3, but possibly not the entirety of M2 so it is the most worthwhile module. The content of M2 isn't difficult, but it can be challenging to get an A*. I can't comment on D2.

I would agree, but I'm not that kind of undergrad maths student sadly - I've found maths to be slightly too challenging to be pursuing algebra/analysis in my own time and I won't be studying either of those things in the third year anyway, but I get what you're saying.

And thanks, I've taken that on board :h:
Reply 14
Hi Sean! :hello:

FP3 is good fun! I definitely think you should do it. M2 is easy enough and is probably the second easiest further maths module (first being S2). It seems like you're definitely doing D2, but you could do M3 as well if you start to enjoy M2 - it's also very nice and has a lot in common with your physics A2.

I'm actually thinking of doing AFM too 'cause I have a long summer break after first year. :tongue:
Original post by Ayman!
Hi Sean! :hello:

FP3 is good fun! I definitely think you should do it. M2 is easy enough and is probably the second easiest further maths module (first being S2). It seems like you're definitely doing D2, but you could do M3 as well if you start to enjoy M2 - it's also very nice and has a lot in common with your physics A2.

I'm actually thinking of doing AFM too 'cause I have a long summer break after first year. :tongue:

:awesome: music to my ears. I'll keep that in mind about M3, but it'll be unlikely that I'll ever enjoy mechanics. :lol:

:five: :woo: join the party then :tongue: just be careful that it doesn't clash with uni exams if you plan to sit them - and that uni summers are for enjoying yourself/doing internships etc. :lol:
Original post by SeanFM

Might aswell do the rest for he full A* at A level. They ain't that bad tbh. Really easy infact, i found Stuff like M4-5 easier then M3.
Mechanics is just probably 1 year a bad experience. You won't be bad enough to not get an A* after 2 years of uni maths because to tell the truth, M3-5 is just integration differentiation and fp3 cross products and solving Fp2 DE's with dx/dt instead of dy/dx! Like literally no lie being honest. Only think i can imagine being quite tricky is relative motion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest