The Student Room Group

22 years old BTEC level 2 Art student needs some adivice on my path to Uni.

Hello everyone I really need some advice Im not sure if the path I took for my education is normal because most mature students here seems to go straight into a Access course or Foundation year coming back to education unlike me who took BTEC.(because of my terrible GCSE grades)

Basically I have 3 choices and I need to decide on what to take as soon as possible:

BTEC level 3( The easiest path but a two years course)

Access course(Fastest path but harder than BTEC)

Foundation Year(The most difficult path for me in terms of everything and just recently found out about this since I had no idea a Foundation course exist)

I know that most people here would say age does not matter for education but for me Time over money the problem is if I can handle a Access or foundation. Another problem is that I dont have any C on English/Maths but I retook English this year and hoping for a C and wants to do Maths again since I feel I failed to get a C on the retake(Im terrible at Maths)

I took a break from work when I was doing my level 2 BTEC for a year to focus on it but Im sure Im going back to a part time work while doing any of the 3 above.

So If anyone has an experience on a Art degree(specifically Graphic design) please feel free to give your opinion.
Maybe you could speak to an adviser at your local college and they could discuss the various options with you and then see what might be best and what you need to achieve to do each thing.

I have just completed a b tech level 2 in animal care at 29 (just turned 30) and on track to pass with distinction so the colleges advise for me was to go on and do the b tech level 3 in September as I want to go straight in to employment after that and doing the higher level qualification will boost my career prospects.

Like yourself I also did not have the best GCSE grades so I had to start off at level 2 and in order for me to progress their only request was that I passed with an a or b distinction/merit, I wanted to go to night classes and at least get improved english/maths grades but they suggested I didn't ! as a good grade on the B tech level 2 would be enough even though to do level 3 you need C or above in those subjects so you might be surprised how much this wont effect you. Some places definitely push for this more in school leavers than in adults.

I think if I was looking at uni which i'm not as I've been there and wasn't right for me and glad I worked that out as I couldn't imagine myself doing anything now but working with animals, given my age I would look at access or whatever was the fastest way of doing it.
Reply 2
Original post by gillian1986
Maybe you could speak to an adviser at your local college and they could discuss the various options with you and then see what might be best and what you need to achieve to do each thing.

I have just completed a b tech level 2 in animal care at 29 (just turned 30) and on track to pass with distinction so the colleges advise for me was to go on and do the b tech level 3 in September as I want to go straight in to employment after that and doing the higher level qualification will boost my career prospects.

Like yourself I also did not have the best GCSE grades so I had to start off at level 2 and in order for me to progress their only request was that I passed with an a or b distinction/merit, I wanted to go to night classes and at least get improved english/maths grades but they suggested I didn't ! as a good grade on the B tech level 2 would be enough even though to do level 3 you need C or above in those subjects so you might be surprised how much this wont effect you. Some places definitely push for this more in school leavers than in adults.

I think if I was looking at uni which i'm not as I've been there and wasn't right for me and glad I worked that out as I couldn't imagine myself doing anything now but working with animals, given my age I would look at access or whatever was the fastest way of doing it.

Thanks for the advice It seems we have the same experience despite doing different courses. Best of luck to both of us then !
Thanks and good luck with whatever you choose to do 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending