The Student Room Group

Can I study 3 A levels AND a Level3 Extended Diploma at the same time

Do you think it is possible for me to study 3 A level subjects AND a Level3 Extended Diploma in acting (equal to 3 A levels) at the same time? The BTEC subject is at a performing arts school and the A level subjects are in a normal school, do you think i’ll be able to manage? the stress, the workload, time management, even securing a part time job in the process. I’m in year10 so i don’t have much understanding. please help guys!!
Original post by ddavina
Do you think it is possible for me to study 3 A level subjects AND a Level3 Extended Diploma in acting (equal to 3 A levels) at the same time? The BTEC subject is at a performing arts school and the A level subjects are in a normal school, do you think i’ll be able to manage? the stress, the workload, time management, even securing a part time job in the process. I’m in year10 so i don’t have much understanding. please help guys!!

no point. if you wanna do performing arts at uni then do the diploma whereas if you want a humanities/science based degree do 3 A levels. nowhere will favour you for doing both and it wouldn't be much use as it would definitely impact your a level grades
Reply 2
That's the equivalent of SIX A levels - dont be ridiculous.
Why not do A-level Drama and 2-3 other A-levels then?
Original post by ddavina

What degree or career paths do you want to do when you're older, what subjects do you enjoy doing?
Hi - just doing 3 A levels and having a part time job is often too much! I would say no, you shouldn't try to do the equivalent of 6 A levels; A levels are usually a huge step up from GCSE and you may think that because you do 11 GCSEs you can do 6 A levels, but in reality, that's not a realistic path.

A level drama is quite practical with lots of coursework, and an essay based exam. You could do this instead of the diploma if you choose.
If you're thinking about how these qualifications may help you, take a look at what options are available to you post college/6th form. Taking the performing arts route, for example, you could study acting in University or at drama school, and these are usually VERY different training, perhaps similar to the difference between the diploma training and the drama A level training. Of course you don't need to decide for definite now so no need to over-stress! But looking ahead can make decisions a little clearer.

edit: if you want any info about the drama a level course, then I can help, just reply to this message.
(edited 11 months ago)
You'd be doomed, Diploma workloads are heavy, even at L2.
I’ve known a handful of applicants who have managed this but they are usually taking all the qualifications at a single college which allows for some flexibility around timetabling - essentially they were able to do much of their art and design ED work during holidays so the workload in termtime was manageable alongside the 3 A levels. For a performing arts ED where you have to work with others during term time that’s not an option.

Taking 3 A levels in one centre and an ext dip in another is a very silly idea.

Quick Reply

Latest