The Student Room Group

If we were to leave the EU, do you think the EU would start a trade war?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by midnightice
Tariff-free trade stretches from non-EU Iceland to non-EU Turkey. The only country in the whole of Europe that has tariffs imposed on them is Belarus, and they have a customs union with Russia. You think we would be treated in the same way as Belarus?!

Well, Tariff free doesn't really apply to Turkey. They still have multiple tariffs in place.

Anyway, any other significant Tariff free zone has freedom of Movement.

I didn't say the UK would be treated the same as Belarus. I just said that the UK won't have access to the Single Market if they don't have freedom of Movement.
No. The German peak industry body BDI has clearly explained they desire trading conditions to stay the same even in the event of a Brexit, and they will order the German government to act accordingly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36596060

Keep in mind the BDI is to the CDU (the ruling Christian Democrat party of Merkel) what the TUC used to be to the Labour Party; they could probably topple Merkel if they wanted to do so. There will be no trade war, no punitive tariff increases
Original post by JamesN88
Get a grip of yourself.

You can't call it British Fish and Chips if it isn't from Britain.

You can't call it Champagne if it isn't from Champagne.

You can't call it Scotch Whisky if it isn't from Scotland.

You can't call it a Cornish Patsy if it isn't from Cornwall.

You can't call a new potato a Jersey Royal if it isn't from Jersey.

etc.............

Get the picture?

52% v 48%

Get the picture?
Original post by Blimey1000
52% v 48%

Get the picture?

Yes.

But it doesn't change what I said which is why you didn't reply properly to it.
Yes.

But it doesn't change what I said which is why you didn't reply properly to it.

What you don't understand is, it's that sort of stupid unaccountable regulations (among other factors) that drove the UK out .... that's the picture!
Original post by Blimey1000
What you don't understand is, it's that sort of stupid unaccountable regulations (among other factors) that drove the UK out .... that's the picture!

It's essentially a copyright issue which is trivial, I hadn't even thought about it until you mentioned it.

I know it's early days but the picture is that France have just overtaken us as the world's 5th largest economy.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's essentially a copyright issue which is trivial, I hadn't even thought about it until you mentioned it.

You asked for an example/explain on EU's "Free" trade, i gave it to you.

Trivial, yes, but cumulatively it becomes 52%.
Reply 67
Original post by XcitingStuart
If we were to leave the EU, do you think the EU would start a trade war?

100% they will start a trade war. we are in direct competition now. also they will want to deter others from leaving the EU. prices are gonna raise very significantly. our agriculture sector is very weak and we are dependent on foreign imports.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending