The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2160
Good luck everyone. We've got this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mathemagicien
You hope we all smash it? All 500 or so? :biggrin:

Obvs just the tsr mathmos, hope the other plebs have flawed solutions so it's 60 for an S :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck everyone!
Stomachs churning now. Whoah. 1hr left 👀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Stomachs churning now. Whoah. 1hr left 👀

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same!

M8, any last tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2166
Good luck everybody.

I'm going to close this thread for now, just to avoid any discussion. Thanks. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2167
Think it's fine to discuss now.
Whoah.
Yeh i ****ed it up.
Probs missed S and got high 1 cause i did ****ing Q3 the trivial question with like 5 mins left so shudve tried that instead of Q7 as it was an easy extra 10-15 marks wudve had me over the line

Posted from TSR Mobile
Step is over!!!
I can't believe I didn't get the last part of 8, I made all the transformations with f(x) = 1/(1-x) using fff(x) = x and just didn't subtract 2 equations :|

went well tho, 4 fulls 2 good partials, not as good as step 2 but what can u do
Reply 2171
Messed that up big time. 2 fulls, 1 almost full (similar to strangebanana in Q8), and 2 partials.

Any idea what the boundaries will be for 1 and S?
Reply 2172
Pretty sure I have a mid 1 in STEP III (was expecting a scraped S when I came out but one of my solutions was fundamentally flawed, Q8 - I guessed h(x) and verified it as well as just plugging in g(x) and verified it instead of deriving them, pretty sure that loses me all the marks. FML. Got the last bit of Q4 wrong as well.)

Don't really mind the 1, but the 2 in STEP II is a massive downer.
Reply 2173
Not a single full but 4 good partials in 3,4,6,8 (and parts of 1 and 2), I'm thinking close to the 1/2 boundary probably, how did people think that paper compares to previous years?
Well for me STEP 3 didnt go too well (I think I could have done much better). Here's how it went:

Q1 : My first question and I completed it (correctly I hope). The last part was a little tricky but I got through to the end of the induction.

Q8: Did (i) and (ii) without trouble - but couldnt do (iii)

Q3: Did it completely (used product rule and stuff I hope none of my arguments were flawed...)

Q11: I thought the question wouldnt give me too much trouble but it did - I think I used correct methods in both (i) and (ii) but I didnt get the required answer in either :frown: No idea why maybe some careless errors in integration - who knows?

At this point I had little time left and so my next questions were not done well.

Q6: Did the intro, (i), (ii) and hopefully (iii) isnt wrong. Couldnt do (iv) I hope there are no errors in (i), (ii) or the intro either but i cant be sure.

Q4: Tried using the method of differences but didnt get anywhere good .

Q2: Wrote down equations of normals tried to equate a couple equations or so but got nowehere tbh.

Horrible second half for me I'd say - I would highly appreciate an estimate. Thanks :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
After next week's exams finish, will someone start a 'Post STEP uni preparation thread' for all the mathmos out there self teaching themselves the tripos lol
Reply 2176
Original post by EricPiphany
After next week's exams finish, will someone start a 'Post STEP uni preparation thread' for all the mathmos out there self teaching themselves the tripos lol

I was so looking forward to that (typically called "A Summer of Maths (ASoM)" btw) but then I realised I missed my offer and I don't want to do any maths anymore. :lol:
Thoughts on the paper?
Reply 2178
Original post by Gunawardana
Well for me STEP 3 didnt go too well (I think I could have done much better). Here's how it went:

Should be a low 1.
Reply 2179
Step III had me panicking in the exam! Managed to get out 4 fulls and a couple of partials though so I should be fine :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending