The Student Room Group

Moving out as a student in the uk

I need help with moving out, I don't have a job and I can not one for various reasons so do not suggest getting a job. I live in the uk and I need to have a flat of my own (not shared) in Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City or very close to that area. Is there any way I can do this or get more money to help me move out or something?

Scroll to see replies

There's obviously more to this that you're not telling us, but without knowing the details simply saying 'I need a flat in xxx and I'm not prepared to work for it' is unlikely to get any useful responses. Have you considered friends, family, charities, local authority?
Original post by Duncan2012
There's obviously more to this that you're not telling us, but without knowing the details simply saying 'I need a flat in xxx and I'm not prepared to work for it' is unlikely to get any useful responses. Have you considered friends, family, charities, local authority?

Well family is the reason I want to move out and I can't get a job because another I'm moving out is because of my girlfriend who has terrible parents and I'll need to take her to school and stuff as she is doing a level and is very shy. So it is not that I am not prepared to work like you stated, it is that I am unable to work so please do stop presuming things before knowing all the facts. I don't mean offence by what I said, I just want to be clear. I don't know off any Charites, that's why I'm asking here if there is anything like that.
Original post by Matthew Cooper
Well family is the reason I want to move out and I can't get a job because another I'm moving out is because of my girlfriend who has terrible parents and I'll need to take her to school and stuff as she is doing a level and is very shy. So it is not that I am not prepared to work like you stated, it is that I am unable to work so please do stop presuming things before knowing all the facts. I don't mean offence by what I said, I just want to be clear. I don't know off any Charites, that's why I'm asking here if there is anything like that.

We can only base our suggestions on the information you provide. How old are you both? Do you have any savings? What do you mean by "terrible parents"? Is anyone involved abusive? As I said before, have you considered friends, family, local authority?
Reply 4
Pretty sure the student loans company covers private sector housing. If you're disabled and can't work you should also be entitled to benefits.
We can only base our suggestions on the information you provide. How old are you both? Do you have any savings? What do you mean by "terrible parents"? Is anyone involved abusive? As I said before, have you considered friends, family, local authority?

I'm 19 and she is 17 and no I don't currently have any savings as obviously I don't get any income right now. By terrible parents I can't go into detail because she wouldn't want me to but I don't really know how to explain it without you seeing them. Its one of them things that you have to sort of see them to understand but I will try my best to explain what I can. She has terrible living conditions, her mum is literally insane and constantly saids she has no money but affords to go out at night with her friends to London and have recently brought a brand new car. She never has any food or drink in the house because her mum saids she can't afford it but obviously from what I said she can. Her mum shouts at her everyday and literally shouts quite loudly sometimes even if my girlfriend walks down stairs.

And now her dad (her mum and dad are separated). Her dad will force her to do things which yes I know is fine with in reason but he will literally shout and scream at her even if for example she takes to long to get out of bed. She has always been forced to do things that she absolutely hates and her dad always saids she needs a therapist for some stupid reason. Also her parents do not let her have any friends at all, even me (her boyfriend) her parents will not let her see me, but her parents are always saying how she should have friends yet they don't let her have friends. There is a lot more but I can't say too much more because I know she wouldn't want me to say too much.

To be honest I don't have friends that can actually help and the only one I did have completely let me down, family are part of the reason I want to move out so they can't help and then I just don't know what to do.
Thanks for sharing, that adds a lot to your initial post. It might be worth speaking to your local council and asking about accommodation options with them. Is there any way you could both get jobs over the summer, and maybe a part time job when term restarts? That would help to being able to afford to move out. I'm sorry I can't offer more concrete advice, and I hope you're able to resolve things in a way that keeps everyone happy. Good luck.
Thanks for sharing, that adds a lot to your initial post. It might be worth speaking to your local council and asking about accommodation options with them. Is there any way you could both get jobs over the summer, and maybe a part time job when term restarts? That would help to being able to afford to move out. I'm sorry I can't offer more concrete advice, and I hope you're able to resolve things in a way that keeps everyone happy. Good luck.

What could the council do if I did ask them?
What could the council do if I did ask them?

You may be able to apply for council housing

https://www.gov.uk/council-housing
You may be able to apply for council housing

https://www.gov.uk/council-housing

Ok thanks but that isn't what we're looking for.
Reply 10
Ok thanks but that isn't what we're looking for.

Then you'll just have to stick it out.
Original post by Scott.
Then you'll just have to stick it out.

Yep I know, I'm trying to get money to save whenever I can.
Original post by infairverona
Why does taking her to school mean you can't get a job? You can work around the school hours...how on earth do you think anyone works with children that they have to take to school? And to be honest if she can't get to school herself, I think her Dad may be right about the therapy. That is not normal behaviour for someone of her age.

In regard to normal behaviour, what is she meant to do, walk to school from miles away? I don't think you know anything about walking at all. Walking for miles takes a very long time and as I previously said it must be in Hatfield or Welwyn Garden City then it would be far away from her school so please tell me how your idiotic mind thinks that that is not normal behaviour. It is amazing how you can be so stupid. Congratulations you are officially the stupidest person I have ever heard off.
Having to be accompanied to school at 17 is outside the normal parameters of behaviour and so some cognitive behaviour treatment may benefit your girlfriend. Remember therapy isn't a bad thing, doesn't mean she would have or does have a mental illness and on the same basis there is nothing wrong if she does. We are all different and unique. she is your girlfriend and understandably you want the very best for her and sometimes that is therapy.

Is council housing not an option because of the stigma attached to it? because you wouldn't be eligible for council housing anyway as your not actually homeless- no matter how bad the situation is at your homes you still in fact do have a home. However they can direct you to landlords that accept benefit claimants. however its likely that you would be allocated hostel accommodation.

infairverona gave you an opinion which is what you asked for. Your response was over the top and suggested that you are not capable of dealing with confrontation. if you respond to people in this manner then you wont get the help when you ask for it. I think you owe them an apology.
Original post by Mimsycrafts
Having to be accompanied to school at 17 is outside the normal parameters of behaviour and so some cognitive behaviour treatment may benefit your girlfriend. Remember therapy isn't a bad thing, doesn't mean she would have or does have a mental illness and on the same basis there is nothing wrong if she does. We are all different and unique. she is your girlfriend and understandably you want the very best for her and sometimes that is therapy.

Is council housing not an option because of the stigma attached to it? because you wouldn't be eligible for council housing anyway as your not actually homeless- no matter how bad the situation is at your homes you still in fact do have a home. However they can direct you to landlords that accept benefit claimants. however its likely that you would be allocated hostel accommodation.

infairverona gave you an opinion which is what you asked for. Your response was over the top and suggested that you are not capable of dealing with confrontation. if you respond to people in this manner then you wont get the help when you ask for it. I think you owe them an apology.
Do people not know how to read on this site? I SAID IT WOULD BE MILES AWAY FROM HER SCHOOL OK MILES AWAY. DO YOU WANT TO SAY MILES ANYMORE TO GET IT INTO YOUR HEAD. it really isn't that hard. Do you expect someone to walk a lot of miles to school? I would like to see you do it. NEXT TIME READ THE POST FIRST.
Do people not know how to read on this site? I SAID IT WOULD BE MILES AWAY FROM HER SCHOOL OK MILES AWAY. DO YOU WANT TO SAY MILES ANYMORE TO GET IT INTO YOUR HEAD. it really isn't that hard. Do you expect someone to walk a lot of miles to school? I would like to see you do it. NEXT TIME READ THE POST FIRST.

I did read the post. You can walk miles, you can also catch a bus miles as well as catch a train miles. You don't HAVE to be driven. You also don't have to stay at the same school. if you are moving that far it would be recommended that she should

I do not owe anyone an apology, especially someone who insults other people just like you have when neither of you know the person you are insulting. She insults someone who she doesn't know and if you're reading this infairverona then at least my girlfriend can actually complete her work without needing friends to help her and at least she doesn't leave it until the last second.
I did read the post. You can walk miles, you can also catch a bus miles as well as catch a train miles. You don't HAVE to be driven. You also don't have to stay at the same school. if you are moving that far it would be recommended that she should

How old are you? I think you should get some experience in life before you judge other people. You clearly did not read all of it. Are you one of them people who expects everyone to be just like you?
I do not owe anyone an apology, especially someone who insults other people just like you have when neither of you know the person you are insulting. She insults someone who she doesn't know and if you're reading this infairverona then at least my girlfriend can actually complete her work without needing friends to help her and at least she doesn't leave it until the last second.

When have I insulted her? because I suggested she needs support? tbh the more I talk to you the more I think she just needs a new boyfriend, cos you are walking both sides of crazy street. the last person she should move in is you. Cos you an idiot (that's an actual insult there feel free to throw all of those toys out the pram in response)

I gave you good advice take it or leave it
How old are you? I think you should get some experience in life before you judge other people. You clearly did not read all of it. Are you one of them people who expects everyone to be just like you?

I gave good advice you just didn't like it. are you one of those people who expects everyone to say what they want to hear?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending