The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IrrationalRoot
Oh ok, thanks. Yeah I'd like lots problems that require ingenuity; what I wouldn't like is just a load of application of methods/techniques. Ideally something similar to STEP problems since they were very enjoyable, but anything that requires ingenuity is good.
Either way at least it'll be better than A-Level maths/further maths. That stuff was genuinely painful.

You will enjoy the C questions..first year might be a bit of a walk in the park for you overall if you are the sort to do very well in STEP. (though mediocrity in STEP does not imply mediocrity in the degree, I think lack of mediocrity in STEP does imply lack of mediocrity in degree..) High marks in it are quite common (think the average, at least in core modules, is around the first border, pretty crazy). However the material will still be fun and I am quite sure it gets harder in second year from what I've heard.
I wouldn't be that harsh..it was just a little too easy..
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
You will enjoy the C questions..first year might be a bit of a walk in the park for you overall if you are the sort to do very well in STEP. (though mediocrity in STEP does not imply mediocrity in the degree, I think lack of mediocrity in STEP does imply lack of mediocrity in degree..) High marks in it are quite common (think the average, at least in core modules, is around the first border, pretty crazy). However the material will still be fun and I am quite sure it gets harder in second year from what I've heard.
I wouldn't be that harsh..it was just a little too easy..

Nice, that's good to hear :smile:.
Oh I'd certainly be that harsh about maths. Not further maths though, that was ok.
@Insight314 @ Anyone doing fp3 tomorrow

Good luck and lets make the most of our last maths exam this year! https://dec41.user.srcf.net/ await!
Original post by EnglishMuon

Good luck and lets make the most of our last maths exam this year! https://dec41.user.srcf.net/ await!

Yes! That link is the biggest motivational tool.

Good luck to you too, not that you need it, haha.
Original post by Insight314
Yes! That link is the biggest motivational tool.

Good luck to you too, not that you need it, haha.

haha thanks, same to u too :tongue: But actually just to check we are allowed to use the fact a diagonalised matrix consists of the eigenvalues down the leading diagonal without the long winded derivation everytime, yea?

Yeeeeeeaaaaah
haha thanks, same to u too :tongue: But actually just to check we are allowed to use the fact a diagonalised matrix consists of the eigenvalues down the leading diagonal without the long winded derivation everytime, yea?

Do you mean deriving the diagonalised matrix using D=PTAP\textbf{D} = \textbf{P}^T\textbf{A}\textbf{P} ? If you are given eigenvalues, then you write them along the leading diagonal to get the diagonalised matrix, but if you are given eigenvectors then you form P\textbf{P} which is the matrix with columns consisting of normalised eigenvectors. It depends on what the question is giving you. You can go either way since you can find eigenvalues using eigenvectors and vice versa using the characteristic equation for the matrix, but that would just waste unnecessary time.
Do you mean deriving the diagonalised matrix using D=PTAP\textbf{D} = \textbf{P}^T\textbf{A}\textbf{P} ? If you are given eigenvalues, then you write them along the leading diagonal to get the diagonalised matrix, but if you are given eigenvectors then you form P\textbf{P} which is the matrix with columns consisting of normalised eigenvectors. It depends on what the question is giving you. You can go either way since you can find eigenvalues using eigenvectors and vice versa using the characteristic equation for the matrix, but that would just waste unnecessary time.

yea I just mean when have the eigenvalues can you just straight up write out D or is there some dumb rule where the examiners secretly want the derivation everytime without actually asking for it. But yeah Ill just write it down right away then. I think its one of those stupid things my teacher used to do everytime so I wasnt sure if it was necessary :tongue: But thanks.
yea I just mean when have the eigenvalues can you just straight up write out D or is there some dumb rule where the examiners secretly want the derivation everytime without actually asking for it. But yeah Ill just write it down right away then. I think its one of those stupid things my teacher used to do everytime so I wasnt sure if it was necessary :tongue: But thanks.

Sorry, I am confused. What derivation are you talking about? :biggrin: If eigenvectors are given, you use D=PTAP\textbf{D} = \textbf{P}^T\textbf{A}\textbf{P} and if eigenvalues are given then you just write them down as you are telling me about. You can do it the other way (turning eigenvalues into eigenvectors and then using the alternative method) but there is no point and it would take you way too long.
Sorry, I am confused. What derivation are you talking about? :biggrin: If eigenvectors are given, you use D=PTAP\textbf{D} = \textbf{P}^T\textbf{A}\textbf{P} and if eigenvalues are given then you just write them down as you are telling me about. You can do it the other way (turning eigenvalues into eigenvectors and then using the alternative method) but there is no point and it would take you way too long.

Yea thats what I mean, when you pointlessly find the eigenvalues then find eigenvectors and do P^TAP. Cus everyone I know doing the exam does that everytime but it seems like a massive time waste XD
Yea thats what I mean, when you pointlessly find the eigenvalues then find eigenvectors and do P^TAP. Cus everyone I know doing the exam does that everytime but it seems like a massive time waste XD

Yeah, that's not needed. You can literally just place them on the leading diagonal, like you were talking about. :smile:
Yeah, that's not needed. You can literally just place them on the leading diagonal, like you were talking about. :smile:

Thanks, thats good! Also i looked a little into the "...with physics" course last year but cant remember what the major differences are aside from not doing the numbers and sets part. Is the extra stuff just more mechanics/relativity stuff?
Thanks, thats good! Also i looked a little into the "...with physics" course last year but cant remember what the major differences are aside from not doing the numbers and sets part. Is the extra stuff just more mechanics/relativity stuff?

Have you taken a look at this - https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/system/files/text_1.pdf ?

You replace D&R and N&S for first year Physics NatSci courses. Here is more detail on which are replaced, and which ones you are doing from the Physics part:

"The Mathematics with Physics option consists of courses given by the Faculty of Mathematics,which provide about three-quarters of the total workload, and courses given by the Physics department, including practical work, which provide the remaining quarter of the workload. The physics lectures provide a series of short courses on Dynamics,Rotational Mechanics and Special Relativity, Oscillating Systems, Waves and Quantum Waves, and Gravitational and Electromagnetic Fields. (These are the same as those in the first-year Physics component of the Natural Science Tripos.) The mathematical lectures are on Vectors and Matrices, Groups, Differential Equations, Vector Calculus,Analysis and Probability. There is no clash in the timetabling of the options, so that you can attend the lectures for both the Mathematics with Physics option and the Pure and Applied Mathematics option."

How did you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
FRREEEEEEWDDOOOOOOMMMM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
FRREEEEEEWDDOOOOOOMMMM

Posted from TSR Mobile

No Physics tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else here do the FP2 (MEI) exam this morning? It was horrendous honestly never had a harder A level exam
How did you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah it was good thanks. I know I made one small error on the sin5x/sinx integration as I got an extra root 3/2 from somewhere but quite confident with the rest. How about u?
Ah it was good thanks. I know I made one small error on the sin5x/sinx integration as I got an extra root 3/2 from somewhere but quite confident with the rest. How about u?

I found the whole paper pretty easy, finished it fast up to 8 c) and then spent about 30-40 minutes thinking how to tackle 8 c). At the end I got it, although I am not 100% sure I got all the marks, I still think it is 100UMS.

Physics next! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found the whole paper pretty easy, finished it fast up to 8 c) and then spent about 30-40 minutes thinking how to tackle 8 c). At the end I got it, although I am not 100% sure I got all the marks, I still think it is 100UMS.

Physics next! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha yes indeed! I literally finished in 35 minutes then spent ages checking. What mark do u normally need about to get full ums then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending