The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow Student - Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Hi! Are students at the Glasgow school of art eligible for UoG halls, as their diplomas are awarded by your uni?
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Hello,I just graduated from UOG and now applying jobs at other country outside of UK and EU, in which the grading system is different than UOG's 16-point grade system. I was in MSc Psychological Studies and got 14.4 (pass) for my postgraduate result. And Just wondering how do I convert that into the most common grading system like the CGPA (1.00 until 4.00) as it is used in the country I'm applying. Is there any official UOG's email that I can contact about this matter so that I can contact directly? It seems that the country's I'm applying couldn't translate the HEAR report into the most common result.Thank you in advance!
Original post by vonbroten
Hi! Are students at the Glasgow school of art eligible for UoG halls, as their diplomas are awarded by your uni?

unfortunately no /:

but there are private halls like Clifton House with Glasgow Uni Students... ?
Hi,
I'm currently trying to decide whether to place Glasgow as my firm or insurance to study History this September. What level of support is available for history (or humanities) under graduates in terms of academic work and how easy is this to get? Also, in the honours years are there modules on the actual study of history (i.e. the theory or practice, as there are at universities such as York and Edinburgh), or are those aspects covered within the other modules? (I feel like these kind of modules would perhaps be useful in terms of understanding how history is studied and developing transferable skills? I don't know, I could be wrong). Thanks :smile:
Reply 544
Hello, I am on the verge of choosing my firm university offer and I'm having a lot of difficulty in deciding.
For Glasgow, I have applied for BSc Theoretical Physics at year one entry. My questions are as follows:
How soon and easily can I change to MSci if I accept the offer? If I decide to focus on mathematics and physics in later years, can I still use resources for computer science undergraduates? Is it easy to change courses later on if necessary?
What research is the university currently involved with in those areas? Is there an emphasis on research? How extensive is the Students' Union?

I hope you can get back to me soon, I don't have much time left.
Thank you.
Original post by YuliaTATY
Hi,
I'm currently trying to decide whether to place Glasgow as my firm or insurance to study History this September. What level of support is available for history (or humanities) under graduates in terms of academic work and how easy is this to get? Also, in the honours years are there modules on the actual study of history (i.e. the theory or practice, as there are at universities such as York and Edinburgh), or are those aspects covered within the other modules? (I feel like these kind of modules would perhaps be useful in terms of understanding how history is studied and developing transferable skills? I don't know, I could be wrong). Thanks :smile:

Hi there! I am a politics student so cannot really speak for history, but I have studied some humanities subjects during these four years I've spent in Glasgow, including religious studies, philosophy and theatre studies, so can maybe help a bit with the first question.

For most subjects you will have both lectures and smaller tutorials/seminars with around 20 students where the tutor will be there to support your learning and provide you with opportunities to talk about things covered in lectures and ask about anything you might find difficult. I found that my tutors were always really supportive. Lecturers also have office hours so you can visit them and ask questions during that time. Also for philosophy during my second year we got support from honours students as well who helped us with learning formal logic :smile: Student learning service is also available (http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/sls/). For a more detailed/history specific answer you can fill in an Ask a student-form (http://www.gla.ac.uk/studentlife/askastudent/) or contact the history department/faculty of humanities directly (http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/history/)

Hope this helps!

Essi
Undergraduate Rep
School of Social and Political Sciences
Original post by Jemals
Hello, I am on the verge of choosing my firm university offer and I'm having a lot of difficulty in deciding.
For Glasgow, I have applied for BSc Theoretical Physics at year one entry. My questions are as follows:
How soon and easily can I change to MSci if I accept the offer? If I decide to focus on mathematics and physics in later years, can I still use resources for computer science undergraduates? Is it easy to change courses later on if necessary?
What research is the university currently involved with in those areas? Is there an emphasis on research? How extensive is the Students' Union?

I hope you can get back to me soon, I don't have much time left.
Thank you.

Hi there!
Often Glasgow Uni is flexible about changing courses - I have even changed colleges myself! Degrees in Arts, Life Sciences, Science and Social Sciences are very flexible as you usually study more than one subject during years 1 and 2. I recommend you email at [email protected] to reach a person who can give you a more detailed answer. Here is some information about the research that is going on at The School of Physics and Astronomy: http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/physics/research/

There are two active students unions at Glasgow Uni and you can read more here: http://www.gla.ac.uk/studentlife/studentunionsandorganisations/

Essi
Undergraduate Rep
Reply 547
Hi,
I've firmed my business and management offer for Glasgow but was wondering if you get to do a placement later on in the course? If you do how long is it? Thanks
Good Morning,I have an unconditional offer for postgraduate study(MSc) on September and I have been accepted a scholarship. In order to receive it, I need to have a certifying letter from the University that I actually have received an offer.I have searched the university's website but I couldn't find anything. Do you know who should I contact to?It kind of a serious matter because if I dont have this letter, I will lose my scholaship. Any help will be appreciated!
Reply 549
Hello, I've accepted my unconditional offer and paid the tuition & accomodation deposits. I would like to learn when will I receive my CAS document? Thank you.
Hi I've just got my results today (2nd year life sciences), on the results page it displays "academic standing: in review", what does that mean? I've got the correct prerequisite grades, my GPA is fine and I have 210/240 credits above a D3 so I don't know why I'd be "in review"?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello, I had been hoping to study with Law with French/French Legal Studies at UofG in 2017. However realistically, I'm looking at AAAAC for S5 results in August and I'm studying Advanced Higher Modern Studies and Advanced Higher History along with politics this year.

I'm wondering if you would be able to tell me what are the chances that I'll be made a conditional offer based on S6 results?

Thank you!
Reply 552
Hello, how do I apply for the Access Bursary? I am eligible for it and would like to apply.
Reply 553
Hello,
not sure if this is the right place to ask, but do you happen to know whether I would (as an EU student) be eligible for SAAS tuition fee funding for the whole time of my studies if the UK left the EU (since I received and accepted the offer before the referendum)?
Thank you.
Original post by Evgenia_N
Good Morning,I have an unconditional offer for postgraduate study(MSc) on September and I have been accepted a scholarship. In order to receive it, I need to have a certifying letter from the University that I actually have received an offer.I have searched the university's website but I couldn't find anything. Do you know who should I contact to?It kind of a serious matter because if I dont have this letter, I will lose my scholaship. Any help will be appreciated!

Which MSc or which scholarship is it? You could try to contact your department/programme coordinator for example.

Essi
Undergraduate Rep
School of Social and Political Science
I am thinking of applying here in 2017 too. Does anyone know how competitive it is for psychology? And what should one do as extra curricular to boost chances of getting accepted?
Original post by Esekanayo_
I am thinking of applying here in 2017 too. Does anyone know how competitive it is for psychology? And what should one do as extra curricular to boost chances of getting accepted?

Hi there!

Good choice :smile: Glasgow's psychology department is excellent! You can get in contact with Glasgow Uni psychology students by filling in an Ask a Student-form at http://www.gla.ac.uk/studentlife/askastudent/aboutaskastudent/
I guess what kind of extra curriculars you can do also depends on your age (whether you're already 18 or not), but my friends who study psychology at Glasgow, in addition to their studies, have volunteered as helpline volunteers or volunteered with children and young people for example. I think it might also depend on why exactly you want to study psychology - are you interested in helping people, doing research or something else.

But I think almost any extra curricular can boost your chances as long as you explain why you think it makes you a strong applicant. For example, even playing volleyball might show that you're an active person, commit to things you start, are good at managing time and prioritising while juggling between hobbies, school and other commitments etc. Overall I think the main thing is being able to demonstrate a genuine interest in your subject in your personal statement!

Let me know if you have any more questions :smile:

Essi
Undergraduate Rep
Original post by Glasgow Uni
Hi there!

Good choice :smile: Glasgow's psychology department is excellent! You can get in contact with Glasgow Uni psychology students by filling in an Ask a Student-form at http://www.gla.ac.uk/studentlife/askastudent/aboutaskastudent/
I guess what kind of extra curriculars you can do also depends on your age (whether you're already 18 or not), but my friends who study psychology at Glasgow, in addition to their studies, have volunteered as helpline volunteers or volunteered with children and young people for example. I think it might also depend on why exactly you want to study psychology - are you interested in helping people, doing research or something else.

But I think almost any extra curricular can boost your chances as long as you explain why you think it makes you a strong applicant. For example, even playing volleyball might show that you're an active person, commit to things you start, are good at managing time and prioritising while juggling between hobbies, school and other commitments etc. Overall I think the main thing is being able to demonstrate a genuine interest in your subject in your personal statement!

Let me know if you have any more questions :smile:

Essi
Undergraduate Rep

Thanks, I was wondering if the entry requirements of AAB also shows the grades that students who get accepted receive? I thought it was odd how low the requirements are considering how good the university is. Do the students they accept actually get these grades or much higher?
Hello University of Glasgow I am a student waiting to start on one of your courses in September this year.

However i had previously been informed that i had to have a MyCampus account which i would have access to over the summer.
I have yet to find any more information so ask you as to when i may expect the MyCampus details to be delivered to my Email address?

Thanks.
Reply 559
Hello,
I have a question about the structure of the MA (Social Sciences) degree. Here (http://www.gla.ac.uk/colleges/socialsciences/students/socialsciences/massdegreestructure/) it seems that I am obliged to take two social science courses, while here: (http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_413989_en.pdf) there are other options included under "Group A b)"So my question is, is it possible to take for example Economics, Mathematics and Statistics in the first year, or is it not an option?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending