The Student Room Group

Subject help!

What subjects should I be taking for A-level if I want to take law in Uni
any suggestions?

Thanks
Reply 1
Thank you so much, that was really helpful, I'm glad that maths isn't included.
Original post by tangareen
What subjects should I be taking for A-level if I want to take law in Uni
any suggestions?

Thanks

Depends what University you want to go to. Since law is a really competitive degree, it would be in your best interest to do more challenging subjects (i.e. probably best to stay away from general studies). I personally don't study/know much about law but mathematics is always useful to have. I would say:

History
English
Mathematics
Philosophy

Do some research and look at what Universities expect and what might help you with the course. Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by gameofthrones1
Depends what University you want to go to. Since law is a really competitive degree, it would be in your best interest to do more challenging subjects (i.e. probably best to stay away from general studies). I personally don't study/know much about law but mathematics is always useful to have. I would say:

History
English
Mathematics
Philosophy

Do some research and look at what Universities expect and what might help you with the course. Hope this helps!

Thank you, the schools I've applied to do not do Philosophy. I am not too keen on History, however I've decided to take English. Maths I am still unsure of whether it is my forte.
I'd suggest

History
Sociology
English language/literature
Psychology

You could potentially do law a level as well but you don't really have to. It only puts you ahead with the knowledge and can show you if you actually would want to do the subject at a degree level.
However, you have to see if the uni you would want to go to in the future will require any specific a level courses
The most helpful A Levels for law are generally History, English Literature, Psychology, Government and Politics, languages e.g. French, Geography, Sociology and Philosophy :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by katherine9609
I'd suggest

History
Sociology
English language/literature
Psychology

You could potentially do law a level as well but you don't really have to. It only puts you ahead with the knowledge and can show you if you actually would want to do the subject at a degree level.
However, you have to see if the uni you would want to go to in the future will require any specific a level courses

That is so helpful, thank you. I wanted to take Psychology instead of Maths.
Thanks for helping me clear that up
Reply 7
Original post by Leviathan1741
The most helpful A Levels for law are generally History, English Literature, Psychology, Government and Politics, languages e.g. French, Geography, Sociology and Philosophy :smile:

There is no need for me to do Maths then, so instead I'd take Psychology, English lit and lang, geography and Government and Politics.

Thank you for you help, it was very useful.

Quick Reply

Latest