The Student Room Group

Second year average: 62. Can I still get a first class degree?

I am studying law at Bristol University. I finished the first year with a 54 average (which doesn't count) and the second year with a 62. The second year counts for 40% of my overall grade and the third year for 60%. With my current average I need around 75 in my final year for a first class degree. Is this impossible to achieve?
Original post by Ratach
I am studying law at Bristol University. I finished the first year with a 54 average (which doesn't count) and the second year with a 62. The second year counts for 40% of my overall grade and the third year for 60%. With my current average I need around 75 in my final year for a first class degree. Is this impossible to achieve?

I think on average people tend to do better in the third year, then second year and I know I did in the same situation. I had a mid 2:1 in year 2 and ended up with a first by the end of my degree. What I would say is get feedback from tutors on how you could improve and push yourself to get those few extra marks. Office hours are normally a great time to get an informal chat outside class.

It is going to be difficult, however I do believe it is possible and you may need to focus on getting the additional help to push yourself pass a 2:1 to a first. I do not know anything about law,.but could you do more external reading, add in cases/relevant information from areas outside your syllabus as this will show that you are demonstrating more evaluation skills, etc..
I am interested to find this out too. I got 62.08% in 2nd year and I am looking to get a first overall. My years are weighted the same, 40% for second year and 60% for third year. However, if I was to achieve mostly 70+ in third year modules I would achieve 68.5% overall and get a first degree.
Yeah, I believe that it is theatrically possible to achieve but it will require long hours and hard work.
yes, i did.

it requires alot of work, of course. like treating the textbook as a starting point for further research. but it is one thing to say it, another to do it, hence why a fraction of law degrees are firsts.

if you are academically able, put the hours in, and perfect exam technique then you could get 75 on every module.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending