The Student Room Group

Is it worth getting an iPad for University

Im going into my second year of university and was wondering if it would be worth buying an iPad to take into lectures.
It would be used along side my laptop to most likely read articles on rather than always trying to use my laptop to do so.

Thankyou
Original post by MinnieHales
Im going into my second year of university and was wondering if it would be worth buying an iPad to take into lectures.
It would be used along side my laptop to most likely read articles on rather than always trying to use my laptop to do so.

Thankyou

I can see it being a lot more convenient, but not entirely necessary. If you've got the cash to spare, go for it :tongue:

(handy for using when travelling as well, rather than laptoping.. though I have seen some students trying that on the bus :lol:)
(edited 7 years ago)

Thankyou

Wouldn't say it's necessary at all-I've survived 4 years of a humanities degree with just a laptop and smartphone. If you have those two, iPads are redundant imho
If you get one of the new iPad Pro's it might be useful for note taking if you get the Apple Pencil as well. This is useful if you have a lot of handouts as well, you can download the PDF directly and annotate straight onto them.

Just depends if you have the money to spend on one or not.*
Our Uni gave us iPad's but tbh, I didn't really find them useful for lectures at all (except for downloading GTA on it and playing if I got bored :colondollar:).
If you have the cash- go for it
But you can use your laptop or good old pen and paper :smile:)

Thankyou

I just finished my 2nd year of dentistry.

My family was on the poor-side, so an iPad proved both convenient and super portable. I got the iPad Air 2 model, 64 GB with a Bluetooth/wireless Logitech keyboard (£25 from Amazon) which gave it the feel of the laptop. Although it was a bit... Clacky? It was also rather loud, everyone in class knew when I started typing haha.

In my experience, the iPad proved excellent most of the time. The battery life is around 12hrs for normal use (10hrs for heavy streaming/gaming) so I didn't even need to carry a charger. It had great multitasking and responses.

Drawbacks were organisation of my files, it's not like a laptop where you can save your files in different places and create specific folders etc. So it was hard to be electronically organised if that makes sense. Also another drawback was that it didn't open certain file formats so it wasn't always reliable.

All in all, awesome buy. But if you have the money get yourself a good laptop. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending