The Student Room Group

Boris Johnson rules himself OUT

LMAO

I wonder why he pulled out, he clearly realised that if he triggers article 50 it will all come back on him and all of his lies will unravel in front of his eyes.

I can't see any reason why the leading figure of the leave campaign is not willing to take the country in the direction he campaigned for

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TSRFT8

I can't see any reason why the leading figure of the leave campaign is not willing to take the country in the direction he campaigned for

So you have not considered the possibility that he and Gove do not wish to split the exit-supporting Tory vote and have agreed that Gove would, at this time, be a better bet to win the leadership campaign?
Original post by Good bloke
So you have not considered the possibility that he and Gove do not wish to split the exit-supporting Tory vote and have agreed that Gove would, at this time, be a better bet to win the leadership campaign?

Surely Boris was the best bet as he was 1% behind May whereas Gove was not even the field. He's bottled it and let Gove take the fire let's be honest.
Original post by TSRFT8
LMAO

I wonder why he pulled out, he clearly realised that if he triggers article 50 it will all come back on him and all of his lies will unravel in front of his eyes.

Because Gove is standing and took all his key support maybe?

So much for Boris only doing it to become PM as so much of the remain campaign attacked him for...
Reply 4
Original post by TSRFT8
LMAO

First of all he was at least 5-1 to win when he backed out so he was probably going to lose anyway.
Secondly he might well believe he has more chance of becoming leader after the next leader fails.
Thirdly Goodblokes point. Although I'm not sure that still applies after the leaked email business ?
Original post by TSRFT8
Surely Boris was the best bet as he was 1% behind May whereas Gove was not even the field. He's bottled it and let Gove take the fire let's be honest.

Gove was assumed to not be in the running so it comes as no surprise he had next to no support, he should easily make it onto the member ballot and I think could easily beat May, part of the reason May has done so well is as an anti-Boris candidate, now that plan falls apart.
Reply 6
Original post by TSRFT8

Where do you get that 1% from and what is it please?

Oh ok I think it's been answered thx
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TSRFT8
Surely Boris was the best bet as he was 1% behind May whereas Gove was not even the field.

You are wrong on two counts: (a) Gove is in the field, but Johnson isn't, and (b) Johnson is 17 points behind May according to YouGov:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/boris-johnson-theresa-may-tory-leadership-only-credible-choice-a7110521.html
Reply 8
Original post by Jammy Duel
Gove was assumed to not be in the running so it comes as no surprise he had next to no support, he should easily make it onto the member ballot and I think could easily beat May, part of the reason May has done so well is as an anti-Boris candidate, now that plan falls apart.

If you think that be aware that Gove is 3-1 with bet 365.May is 1-2

That's assuming the odds compiler hasn't ****** up.

On June 3rd he said he would not be interested at all in the leadership. This all sounds very odd as why Gove would now stand when saying he could never become PM and then basically insulting Boris saying he would not make a good leader to Boris then saying he will not stand. One thinks Boris is patiently waiting for Gove to fail after triggering Article 50 and then jumping at his chance?
Reply 10
In fact Gove is 10-3.

I just got a bet on at that price. I previously bet May at 15-8 at 4 in the morning the other day after reading the next day's papers saying that they were all out to stop Boris.

And they say gambling is hard:smile:

Edit I should add that he may have been a bigger price elsewhere . I'm very lazy
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by moggis

Bookmakers' prices merely reflect the risk to themselves. If they have had a lot of bets (or a very few really big ones) from members of the public, who know nothing of what is going on in those circles, then the odds will reflect that.
Reply 12
Very surprised
Even I'm starting to feel like I wouldn't mind if the Labour Party were to fight the next election on a platform of blocking the invocation of Article 50. This is not to say I would necessarily vote for them, but when a group of high profile politicians (Farage not included since he's not a serious politician) campaign for a cause, you generally hope they have a plan to implement the idea.
Original post by M14B
Very surprised

As am I, I'm quite speculative as to why Boris has given up, but I'm quite adamant there is a hidden agenda behind his decision. I would say May would probably be favourite however I think Liam Fox is credible as is Crabb both of whom I think would be better leaders then Gove but that's just my opinion
Reply 15
Original post by TSRFT8
As am I, I'm quite speculative as to why Boris has given up, but I'm quite adamant there is a hidden agenda behind his decision. I would say May would probably be favourite however I think Liam Fox is credible as is Crabb both of whom I think would be better leaders then Gove but that's just my opinion

Of course there is a hidden agenda
I am just too dumb to see it
Reply 16
Bookmakers' prices merely reflect the risk to themselves. If they have had a lot of bets (or a very few really big ones) from members of the public, who know nothing of what is going on in those circles, then the odds will reflect that.

Ah. When I said ***** up what l meant was that sometimes,believe it or not,bet 365 are slow to react to the latest news or even on occasion results.

I actually bet for a living but I'm not sure how quickly the political betting markets normally react.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by moggis
If you think that be aware that Gove is 3-1 with bet 365.May is 1-2

It's also only just begun

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18

Sorry one other thing, for obvious reasons a market like this would have quite low limits on the maximum bet since there will of course be people in the know.

Thus the odds can be seen as likely to be a fair reflection of the chances given the currently available information.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
It's also only just begun

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure. It looks more likely than not that there will be trading opportunities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending