The Student Room Group

civil service AO grade interview

I have been shortlisted for an AO grade job role as a Public Counter Passport Officer, and I have been informed that during the interview, I will be asked questions related to four key behaviors: making effective decisions, working together, delivering at pace, and managing a quality service.
I have already answered the question about making effective decisions in my application, keeping my response within the required 250-word limit. However, I'm uncertain about the types of questions I can expect for the remaining behaviors. I want to be fully prepared and give the best possible answers during my interview.
If anyone has any experience or insights related to this job role or similar positions, I would greatly appreciate your advice. What type of questions should I anticipate for the behaviors of working together, delivering at pace, and managing a quality service? Are there any specific examples or scenarios that could help me illustrate my skills and competencies in these areas?
Often these types of questions are asked in the format of "can you tell me when you have had to .....XYZ"
So you may want to spend a while before the interview thinking about previous jobs or club/society roles which provide concrete examples of when you have had to make decisions quickly, worked as a team member (accepting orders/directions) from others. Don't be tempted to invent situations.

Q. Tell us about how you work with others:
A. I've found that although I am quite happy working on my own initiative once a task has been set (for example when I needed to publicise the student union elections through hustings and posters) , I enjoy the feeling of camaraderie when also working jointly with others towards a shared goal and celebrating the success of this afterwards. One example of this was when I was on Boris Johnson's 2019 General Election team when we had a numbers of jobs that needed doing including phoning supporters, organising champagne suppliers and briefing journalists on the next day's appearances. One of the key things was that we needed to be flexible and able & willing to cover for each other if someone got pulled into a different team or was unwell.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending