The Student Room Group

Austrian Presidential Election to Take Place Again

“Austria's highest court hasannulled the result of the presidential election narrowly lost by the candidateof the far-right Freedom Party.
The party hadchallenged the result, saying that postal votes had been illegally andimproperly handled.
The FreedomParty candidate, Norbert Hofer, lost the election to the former leader of theGreens, Alexander Van der Bellen, by just 30,863 votes or less than onepercentage point.
The electionwill now be re-run”.

Well well well, the leftists have struck again, having to cheat to get theirguy elected.

There is a good reason why they are known as the fascist left.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36681475

Scroll to see replies

This makes me very happy indeed.
Reply 2
Im gonna laugh my ass off if the left wing candidte wins again. Can just imagine the outcry from right wingers.
Original post by Inexorably
Im gonna laugh my ass off if the left wing candidte wins again. Can just imagine the outcry from right wingers.

I doubt many will complain if there is evidence the election was fair; there are signs this time it was rigged.
Reply 4
There was video evidence of the votes for the far-right candidate being rubbed out and changed.
Reply 5
Come on Austria! Vote for Hofer, save yourselves from EU tyranny like we have.
Is it just a rerun of Hofer vs the Green guy or are they allowing the two centrist parties back in?
Reply 7
Original post by TelAviv
Is it just a rerun of Hofer vs the Green guy or are they allowing the two centrist parties back in?

Just Hofer vs the Green guy.
Seems fair.

It's sad when people feel they have to vote for far-right parties just to feel safe, but nonetheless I acknowledge it may be beneficial in some respects if he gets in, although it is perhaps already a bit late.
Reply 9
Putting aside the terrifying nature of the second-placed candidate, it is absolutely insane that this sort of thing could happen in a modern European democracy. Austria should get its act together.
It's worth clarifying that the investigation showed the votes were improperly handled but also found there was no evidence of tampering.
What a surprise, electoral fraud via postal voting, this is another prime example of why Blair's postal vote reforms were a dreadful idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
What a surprise, electoral fraud via postal voting, this is another prime example of why Blair's postal vote reforms were a dreadful idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

100% agree. There was a reason why voting was made private in the first place. Blair undid all of that work, but no party seems to want to address this issue.
There is no evidence of tampering, this is just a stupid waste of money.
Original post by Multiculturalism
There is no evidence of tampering, this is just a stupid waste of money.

Except for the evidence of tampering that means the poll is being reran...

If there was no signs of tampering or potential tampering the results would not have been overturned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Germany should annex Austria if the facists wins.
Original post by Inexorably

Historically, electorates have tended to punish those who make them vote again be they remain voters or the far right in Austria.

The hippies probably win again by a little.
Original post by Rakas21
Historically, electorates have tended to punish those who make them vote again be they remain voters or the far right in Austria.

The hippies probably win again by a little.

Haven't you just written a contradictory point?
Original post by The_Opinion
Haven't you just written a contradictory point?

The hippies won, the other guys pushed for the review, so the hippies should win again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
The hippies won, the other guys pushed for the review, so the hippies should win again Posted from TSR Mobile
As the hippies cheated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending