The Student Room Group

war with Spain/Argentina?

i put this question to you - if Spain/Argentina invaded Gibraltar/the Falklands islands what would be your response, let them have it or go to war?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Gonna be honest we're probably gonna lose Scotland so let's just give up Gibraltar and the Falklands too, go down with a bang n all that init.
--
For serious though, wouldn't let them have it but would try and resolve it before it got to the stage of war... kinda the last thing we need right now after alienating 27 European countries.
War man!
Where is your spine?
Reply 3
Spain wouldn't invade - they're too intelligent for that, they're using diplomacy. But while they still have Cueta and Melilla they're being a bit damn hypocritical.

Argentina couldn't invade. Their armed forces amounts to 3 guys, a boat with some holes in it and a colossal debt. Any attempt they make is suicide for the people involved and they know it.

Question is therefore null and void.
(edited 7 years ago)
Love the idea of the spanish going to war.
The Spanish are a bit busy having about a million votes to find a majority party / leader.

My response would be we have more important things to deal with back home in England.
Original post by Drewski
Spain wouldn't invade - they're too intelligent for that, they're using diplomacy. But while they still have Cueta and Melilla they're being a bit damn hypocritical.

Argentina couldn't invade. Their armed forces amounts to 3 guys, a boat with some holes in it and a colossal debt. Any attempt they make is suicide for the people involved and they know it.

one would say the same thing in 1935, why would Italy invade Abyssinia during this economic crisis? nothing is impossible and a good way to draw the publics attention to financial disaster is a good patriotic war. it is not null and void and the Argie bargies do have an army, small and crap but not that small.
Original post by Drewski

sounds like they've had more armed forces efficiency drives than we have!
It is more to the point to ask what would the political party leaders do. I cannot see Corbyn going to war over Gibralta or the Falklands.
Reply 9
Original post by Razamataz666
one would say the same thing in 1935, why would Italy invade Abyssinia during this economic crisis? nothing is impossible and a good way to draw the publics attention to financial disaster is a good patriotic war. it is not null and void and the Argie bargies do have an army, small and crap but not that small.

Interesting comparison lol. I wouldn't say there was an economic crisis though in 1935 Italy - they just has a pretty poor military and strategy and had to rely on chemical weapons in the most brutal method of warfare in Italian military history.

There's no reason for anything to happen over at the Falklands IMO. Gibraltar is another story, however it would look very aggressive for little gain. There's no need for 'strategic positions' anymore. They can just launch off places like Tarifa, Algeciras etc...
Original post by dozyrosie
I cannot see Corbyn going to war over Gibralta or the Falklands.

Corbyn would not go to war if the White Walkers appeared through the Chunnel at Folkestone.
Reply 11
Original post by Drewski

Almost lost their flagship to a US investment fund. Good luck against an armed Great Power.
*cough* NATO *cough*
It is more to the point to ask what would the political party leaders do. I cannot see Corbyn going to war over Gibralta or the Falklands.

He would side with Argentina / Spain.
War and when we beat them I'd take more territory from them. :biggrin:
The Spanish are too busy dealing with pissheads on the Costas.

Asking what Corbyn's opinion would be is as relevant as asking what Noel Edmonds' opinion would be.

In 1982 Argentina was lead by a military junta.
They had conscripts and they had some equipment.
They were physically able to make it to the islands.

None of that is true anymore. Yes, they loved to stir the crazies with it, but they knew perfectly well they couldn't do thing 1 about it. In the 30+ years since they last tried they haven't reformed, rebuilt or in any way modernised their armed forces.
On the flipside, the Falklands hosts the most sophisticated aircraft in the southern hemisphere.

The Argentinian armed forces are, in this context, a joke. They are no more a threat than Timmy Mallet.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/falklandislands/11501211/Argentina-wouldnt-dare-to-invade-the-Falklands-again-says-Colonel-Tim-Collins.html

The Argie navy doesn't have the capability to get an invasion force past the UK's defences down there. The UK actually has a sizable & well-drilled force on the islands until 1982.
Unless they buy Swedish Gripen fighter jets then they'd have no way of getting past the RAF's jets.
If they did manage to take them, as impossible as this might be, then the UK probably would struggle to retake them. But as time goes by it becomes even more difficult for Argentina as we're already getting F-35B fighters. They may have issues but I'd rather have a advanced 5th generation stealth fighter with teething problems & the 4.5 generation Typhoon rather than the crappy aircraft the Argentine air force has; we're still more than a match for anything in their inventory.

Spain isn't stupid enough to try anything with Gibraltar.
(edited 7 years ago)
There's an interesting assessment of the chance of an attack on the Falklands here.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/falklandislands/11501211/Argentina-wouldnt-dare-to-invade-the-Falklands-again-says-Colonel-Tim-Collins.html

The TL;DR summary is that one of the Royal Navy's Type-45 destroyers could handle every aircraft in South America attacking and the Argies can't even afford fuel for their navy, so don't worry about an invasion any time soon.
(edited 7 years ago)
@Tempest II

Sorry your post wasn't there when I was typing mine.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending