The Student Room Group

why did tony blair start a war with iraq?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ByEeek
Was he though? The Iraq / Iran war finished well before the first Gulf war. After that, although he ruled by fear, the country was generally at peace. As a westerner, you could freely move around the country. My memory from the time was this quest for WMD. The weapons inspectors couldn't find any. Saddam couldn't show any. Then Bush and Blair's patience ran out. One of the weapons inspectors / advisers ended up killing himself over it all and then there was full blown war. Once the dust settled and a few years later, it was confirmed that there were no WMD.

Yes he was. You forget how much messing around and general pian in the backside he enjoyed making of himself. He was a destabilising influence on the region. If saddam had wanted to be straightforward and co operate fully then he could have.
Original post by ByEeek
Was he though? The Iraq / Iran war finished well before the first Gulf war. After that, although he ruled by fear, the country was generally at peace.

However, a northern and southern no fly zone had been established over the country and had been there since the end of the gulf war, that war was the second he was involved in, plenty of other incidents had been kicked off by him, we had to go on the offensive again in 98 to get them to back down...

To say it was peaceful is a bit of a stretch.
Original post by S1939
But seriously, the guys technically a war criminal and he still thinks he has the audacity to comment on the leadership of Corbyn. Just sums up politics today :angry:

Tony Blair won a landslide victory in the 1997 general election and delivered a further two majorities for the Labour Party. Shall we compare that with the record of Jeremy Corbyn? He cant even hold together a shadow cabinet! Perhaps if Corbyn listened to some of his critics the Labour Party wouldnt be in the mess that is in now.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
Yes he was. You forget how much messing around and general pian in the backside he enjoyed making of himself. He was a destabilising influence on the region. If saddam had wanted to be straightforward and co operate fully then he could have.

What? Like we would if North Korea decided we held WMD and wanted to send in inspectors to see for themselves? This was the thing I could never understand. What right did we have to dictate anything to him?
Original post by ByEeek
What right did we have to dictate anything to him?

As signatories to the anti proliferation treaties we have the authority, through the UN, to inspect countries suspected of having WMD. Iraq was such a country. They definitely did have them at one point - their use of chemical weapons is documented and public record - so sending in inspectors is a legitimate mission.
Original post by ByEeek
What? Like we would if North Korea decided we held WMD and wanted to send in inspectors to see for themselves? This was the thing I could never understand. What right did we have to dictate anything to him?

I beleive it was done under UN resolutions. To destroy and stop developing WMD's.
he had them in the past, he used them in the past, they believed he still had them.
Hindsight shows that the intelligence on that belief was less than satisfactory. Saddam did his best to run rings round the UN and be as difficult as he could to be unco operative.
Original post by Drewski
As signatories to the anti proliferation treaties we have the authority, through the UN, to inspect countries suspected of having WMD. Iraq was such a country. They definitely did have them at one point - their use of chemical weapons is documented and public record - so sending in inspectors is a legitimate mission.

Oh ok - I didn't know that. So why are we not sending inspectors to Israel, India, Pakistan and North Korea?

Yes - you are right. It is looking more dodgy my the minute.
Original post by ByEeek
Oh ok - I didn't know that. So why are we not sending inspectors to Israel, India, Pakistan and North Korea?

Yes - you are right. It is looking more dodgy my the minute.

How do you know we're not? With the exception of NK, most countries work with the UN pretty closely. There'll be arrangements, deals and negotiations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending