The Student Room Group

Beyonce = Overrated?

So I recently attended the Beyonce concert in Cardiff and I have come to the conclusion that she is massively overrated. She is worshiped as some sort of diety 'Queen' 'Queen B' 'Goddess' and I'm not entirely sure why.

1. She has a huge production team that probably create her entire song, with her just reading, learning and signing the vocals.
2. Her songs are full of cliche phrases like 'I slay' which are geared towards today's audience and are not timeless.
3. A lot of her songs are entirely unmemorable.
4. She seems to have zero personality or engagement with her fans. Compare with Adele. Beyonce is just a bit full of herself.

Destiny's Child and some of her material e.g. Crazy in Love, Halo, Sweet Dreams are really good. But the rupaul-esque phrase songs are pretty dreadful.

What are your thoughts?*

Scroll to see replies

You haven't just summed up Beyoncé, but a lot of mass market music artists.
It takes a lot of effort to add full stops to songs she bought writing credits for.
I've always liked Beyonce, she makes me feel all empowered!!!!!
Original post by Little Toy Gun
It takes a lot of effort to add full stops to songs she bought writing credits for.

LOLEST....nice one!
I love beyonce.
I love how she started her career really long, continued it and has progressed a lot.
Reply 6
Watch a few interviews/behind the scenes stuff
[QUOTE=Miracle Day;66300696]So I recently attended the Beyonce concert in Cardiff and I have come to the conclusion that she is massively overrated. She is worshiped as some sort of diety 'Queen' 'Queen B' 'Goddess' and I'm not entirely sure why.

1. She has a huge production team that probably create her entire song, with her just reading, learning and signing the vocals.
2. Her songs are full of cliche phrases like 'I slay' which are geared towards today's audience and are not timeless.
3. A lot of her songs are entirely unmemorable.
4. She seems to have zero personality or engagement with her fans. Compare with Adele. Beyonce is just a bit full of herself.

Destiny's Child and some of her material e.g. Crazy in Love, Halo, Sweet Dreams are really good. But the rupaul-esque phrase songs are pretty dreadful.

What are your thoughts?*
I agree. Her music is nothing special. The media just portrays her as a goddess bc they want someone to hold above everyone else so why not choose this mixed woman that looks decently attractive with a **** ton of makeup.
Lets not also forget about the fact that her and her husband are a bunch of devil worshipping demons though
Reply 9
I personally don't think she's as stunning as people make her out to be and her music is not suited to my taste.

However, one thing I can appreciate about her is her singing talent, something that 90% of pop singers are lacking.
Original post by Quantex
You haven't just summed up Beyoncé, but a lot of mass market music artists.

^^^

(Particularly your first point @Miracle Day)

She is worshiped as some sort of diety 'Queen' 'Queen B' 'Goddess' and I'm not entirely sure why.

I think it is because she is such a feminist icon. Personally can't stand all that shite myself.
Reply 11
Deeply offended by the nation that Beyoncé is overrated. She is amazing and she is more than just her music.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trill
Deeply offended by the nation that Beyoncé is overrated. She is amazing and she is more than just her music.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Explain to me what she is then?
Original post by Trill

The music should be the only thing relevant here.
Reply 14
Totally agree
Add every artist in the UK top 40 as well. Pop is just overrated, especially when they claim to be singer-songwriters whilst they have 15+ on writing credits, use a mindnumbing amount of autotune that would be outlandish in the 70/80s. Furthermore, most of their videos are based on being sexually explicit and the artists are worshipped as deities with teenage fans putting band posters on their walls and scream at concerts.
(edited 7 years ago)
I like some of her songs and i love her voice, but i agree she is majorly overrated.
Totally agree. She has a great voice, but she's been blown way out of proportion.
Original post by Nurne
Totally agree
Add every artist in the UK top 40 as well. Pop is just overrated, especially when they claim to be singer-songwriters whilst they have 15+ on writing credits, use a mindnumbing amount of autotune that would be outlandish in the 70/80s. Furthermore, most of their videos are based on being sexually explicit and the artists are worshipped as deities with teenage fans putting band posters on their walls and scream at concerts.

:frown:

Have never screamed at a concert tho :cool:
Original post by Nurne
Totally agree

Imagine thinking autotune is bad in 2016

Actually, imagine thinking on such an elitist level in 2016
Yes she doesn't write all her music, but she's not that kind of artist. She has a lot of control over the direction of her albums since 4, and those albums have by far the best. Her latest two album have been critically acclaimed. Lemonade is incredible and the sound differs so much from track to track. She is one the best performers out there and has an incredible voice, which sadly cannot be said about many pop stars.

She can be overrated, but she has a lot more substance compared to other pop stars. After all, she is a pop start, not some revolutionary artist. I'm a huge Beyoncé fan so I might be biased here... :innocent:

Quick Reply

Latest