The Student Room Group

extenuating circumstances, how likely?

Hey guys,

My second year of university i was only allowed to resit 60 CAT points but i failed 90 and i have sort of accepted the fact that i will be retaking the year. During the last two modules of my year (60 CAT points) i missed the majority of uni and my attendance was awful due to the fact that i was home because my father has been very ill. Would applying for extenuating circumstances even be an option for me? and what evidence could i even use for it?

Cheers guys.
Original post by JunglistJed
Hey guys,

My second year of university i was only allowed to resit 60 CAT points but i failed 90 and i have sort of accepted the fact that i will be retaking the year. During the last two modules of my year (60 CAT points) i missed the majority of uni and my attendance was awful due to the fact that i was home because my father has been very ill. Would applying for extenuating circumstances even be an option for me? and what evidence could i even use for it?

Cheers guys.

Have a talk with your personal tutor at uni because they know the procedures and rules at your university. I'm sorry to hear about your father.
It's very unlikely that you will be able to get extenuating circumstances as you need to submit it before any assessments for it to count.
Reply 3
Original post by Helloworld_95
It's very unlikely that you will be able to get extenuating circumstances as you need to submit it before any assessments for it to count.

Are you sure? i received my results on Tuesday and i got an email from my head of year yesterday telling me i can apply and see what happens..
Reply 4
^ Not Entirely true although in your case it probably is..

Either way it cant hurt to ask the worst that would happen is them saying no.
Reply 5
What evidence could i provide though? i think the only thing i have on my side if the attendance records!
What evidence could i provide though? i think the only thing i have on my side if the attendance records!

Could you get a letter from your father's doctor, or is there a family friend in a 'professional' job (e.g. social worker, lawyer, doctor) who could write a letter for you explaining the circumstances? I agree with speaking to your tutor first thing tomorrow though, they will more than likely have had students with similar situations before, so will be able to advise exactly what you need in order to get the best outcome.

Hope all goes well, both with this and with your father's health.
Do you have a course handbook which explains how you go about applying?
Hey guys,

Cheers guys.

You should definitely contact your senior tutor or personal tutor and let them know your circumstance. The usual route is to submit an appeal.

Ask them what specific evidence is needed, but it usually will need to be a statement from a professional (e.g. family doctor, counsellor etc) who knows about your father's ill health.

I would strongly urge you to do so quickly, especially in obtaining the evidence. The deadline for appeal is usually short, for my university it is within 10 days of results publication.

Ask your student union to step in, they are very familiar with university procedures and will help you with your appeal if this is indeed your next step.

For the appeal you would need to prepare a statement with your appeal describing the events and the impact they had on you, what outcome you are looking for and your current circumstances. It would also be worth admitting that you were negligent to not raise the issue with your department before sitting your exams, and the reason why you failed to do so (e.g. mental stress). Given that you had a genuine mitigating circumstance they usually would make reasonable adjustment depending on how reasonable your desired outcome is. You will need to be realistic in determining your expectation. Will you be able to resit 90 CATs worth of exams in just 1-2 months, or is it better to ask to be allowed to redo the year? Apart from convincing yourself, you must be able to convince the appeal committee that your proposal is realistic and achievable.

Best of luck.
Also in the meantime search your university's website thoroughly and research your department's policy. It will help to you understand what to expect next while you try to get into contact with your department.
Reply 10
Original post by CherishFreedom
You should definitely contact your senior tutor or personal tutor and let them know your circumstance. The usual route is to submit an appeal.

Ask them what specific evidence is needed, but it usually will need to be a statement from a professional (e.g. family doctor, counsellor etc) who knows about your father's ill health.

I would strongly urge you to do so quickly, especially in obtaining the evidence. The deadline for appeal is usually short, for my university it is within 10 days of results publication.

Ask your student union to step in, they are very familiar with university procedures and will help you with your appeal if this is indeed your next step.

For the appeal you would need to prepare a statement with your appeal describing the events and the impact they had on you, what outcome you are looking for and your current circumstances. It would also be worth admitting that you were negligent to not raise the issue with your department before sitting your exams, and the reason why you failed to do so (e.g. mental stress). Given that you had a genuine mitigating circumstance they usually would make reasonable adjustment depending on how reasonable your desired outcome is. You will need to be realistic in determining your expectation. Will you be able to resit 90 CATs worth of exams in just 1-2 months, or is it better to ask to be allowed to redo the year? Apart from convincing yourself, you must be able to convince the appeal committee that your proposal is realistic and achievable.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the detailed reply! In all honesty my tutor is absolutely useless and when i asked about what evidence i would need etc she pretty much told me to research it myself. The course if coursework based and the university i missed meant i missed important tutorial sessions that would of improved said coursework. I had asked via email days before the deadline about getting a deadline extension but i got the same reply about needing 'documented evidence' without any indication on what that evidence would be so i pretty much gave up and hoped my submissions would be enough.

You are naturally allowed to resit 60 CAT points so i would only be asking to resit another 30, i have contemplated just accepting my fate and resitting the year but i honestly feel with 1-2 months i can get the 3 projects to a high standard. I think my course of action will be using a photocopy of a doctors letter as evidence, do they have access to university attendance records or will i need to send them as well? Thanks again mate.
Thanks for the detailed reply! In all honesty my tutor is absolutely useless and when i asked about what evidence i would need etc she pretty much told me to research it myself. The course if coursework based and the university i missed meant i missed important tutorial sessions that would of improved said coursework. I had asked via email days before the deadline about getting a deadline extension but i got the same reply about needing 'documented evidence' without any indication on what that evidence would be so i pretty much gave up and hoped my submissions would be enough.

You are naturally allowed to resit 60 CAT points so i would only be asking to resit another 30, i have contemplated just accepting my fate and resitting the year but i honestly feel with 1-2 months i can get the 3 projects to a high standard. I think my course of action will be using a photocopy of a doctors letter as evidence, do they have access to university attendance records or will i need to send them as well? Thanks again mate.

Yes, definitely get a doctor's letter and maybe a supporting statement describing the possible impact the illness would have had on your family. You do not need to provide your attendence record (not that they are in your favour anyway). If the committee wants to see your attendence they can simply ask your department directly.

If you feel that you can redo those projects within 1-2 months then go for it and state it clearly as your desired outcome. You should also state any indication that shows that you are capable of achieving it (e.g. good results on earlier courseworks).

Ask your student union to work with you on the appeal. They will also accompany you if you are eventually invited to the committee's meeting. Usually this will only happen if your appeal is considered a borderline case. If you can produce a good statement with sufficient evidence, together with a realistic desired outcome the appeal will result in your favour without any meeting.
Reply 12
Original post by CherishFreedom
Yes, definitely get a doctor's letter and maybe a supporting statement describing the possible impact the illness would have had on your family. You do not need to provide your attendence record (not that they are in your favour anyway). If the committee wants to see your attendence they can simply ask your department directly.

If you feel that you can redo those projects within 1-2 months then go for it and state it clearly as your desired outcome. You should also state any indication that shows that you are capable of achieving it (e.g. good results on earlier courseworks).

Ask your student union to work with you on the appeal. They will also accompany you if you are eventually invited to the committee's meeting. Usually this will only happen if your appeal is considered a borderline case. If you can produce a good statement with sufficient evidence, together with a realistic desired outcome the appeal will result in your favour without any meeting.

I am only given 300 words for my statement, what are the main points i should get across? I have acquired a doctors letter and ideally want to send this appeal off tomorrow so ensure it gets seen in time! Thanks again for the detailed responses mate.
I am only given 300 words for my statement, what are the main points i should get across? I have acquired a doctors letter and ideally want to send this appeal off tomorrow so ensure it gets seen in time! Thanks again for the detailed responses mate.

This is very strange. Usually appeals should be 2 or 3 pages long.

I'd strongly recommend you to ask your student union whether this is an adamant rule. If there is a specific deadline I'd urge you to use the time you have and submit it the day before the deadline.

If your statement is indeed limited to 300 words, you should section it in paragraphs like this.

- State your current situation in terms of academic progression (your course, why you are not allow to proceed).

- Desribe what happened and the effects it had on you.

- Admit negligence on your behalf and apologise for not raising this to your department's attention earlier. State the reason why.

- State your desired outcome. 'I wish to ask the board to grant me another chance...'

- State any change of circumstance which means you are now able to concentrate on your studies. Also state why you think you will achieve your desired outcome.

- Lastly end with 'I am confident that with the board's trust, I can resume my studies and achieve my full academic potential' or just a 'thank you' if you are short on words.

Draft the statement carefully so that the board will be sympathetic to your situation, but also be honest and admit that you have made a mistake not raising this earlier. Be convincing that you are capable of redoing the projects and resuming your studies.

Remember to use simple vocabs and sectioned with paragraphs. Appeals must be easy to read. You'd want the board to focus on sympathising with your situation and not too much time on understanding your wordings or grammar.
Reply 14
As stayed several times above, please involve your Student Union. They know their way round your uni's regs and are there to support you in exactly this kind of situation. They will know what the uni expects to see in your statement. It could potentially be different for every uni so we can really only guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending