The Student Room Group

Which countries have the worst patriarchies?

Scroll to see replies

There are brutal gang rapes and murders of women (and some men) in the third world every day that are never even reported, let alone make the news. That kind of stuff happens maybe once every year in the UK, so next time you find yourself cursing the supposed 'patriarchy' and 'white males' for running the country, have another think and be thankful.

In terms of the most patriarchal country, Islam is pretty synonymous with male control.
Reply 21
Original post by offhegoes
I doubt anyone believes that, but hopefully no-one is ignorant enough to use the worst regimes and societies in the world in terms of the lives of women as a benchmark against which to just Western societies :wink:

That would be bad, but it would be even worse if they thought that Western society isn't an incredible accomplishment of liberalism.
Reply 22
Original post by Blimey1000
Would you do this to your mother?

Do what?
Original post by cipi
Do what?

If you're blind to your own picture, then you're a blind idiot.
Original post by cipi
Look up 'feminist attacks on churches' or something. One example (archbishop):

...can't imagine them doing this to an Imam.

They're fighting homophobia here? That's not even to do with feminism
According to certain groups on uni campuses, apparently the United Kingdom today.
Reply 26
Original post by Blimey1000
If you're blind to your own picture, then you're a blind idiot.

What does that picture show? I see no problem. Don't ask stupid questions please.
Reply 27
Original post by Legendstatusxoxo
They're fighting homophobia here? That's not even to do with feminism

It's a feminist group. They are closely linked with fighting homophobia as well. Either way, whether gay rights, or women's rights, they wouldn't try that on a mosque.
If you can't see the obvious, then you can't be help.
Original post by cipi
It's a feminist group. They are closely linked with fighting homophobia as well. Either way, whether gay rights, or women's rights, they wouldn't try that on a mosque.

There are plenty of attacks that occur on mosques anyway, so no need to feel as if they are missing out
Reply 30
Original post by Legendstatusxoxo
There are plenty of attacks that occur on mosques anyway, so no need to feel as if they are missing out

But it's who is doing them which is important in the context he is speaking of.
Any country that practises FGM is a serious contender.

Some countries do it cause of culture and the idea that a women without a clit is pure.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Of highly developed countries, it would have to be Japan, with South Korea, Russia, Italy close behind (in some order)

I don't know much about less developed countries, but I imagine the worst would be an Islamic African or Middle Eastern country (if we class Islamic State as a state, then the answer would almost certainly be that)

Russia is not bad at all. There are plenty of women in powerful positions in Russia. It was forced in to Russian culture because most of their men died in the war.

It's the Cucklord2000.
Reply 34
Original post by MrControversial
It's the Cucklord2000.

Yea. If I looked like that I don't know what I'd do.
Reply 35
OP just wants to fling mud at Islam and feminism in one place. He couldn't even be bothered to type out an opening post.

So you think that Muslim countries have the worst patriarchies?
DR Congo
South Africa
Somalia
Afghanistan
India
Pakistan
Reply 37
In general the poorest ones mixed with the most authoritarian ones so sub-saharan africa/middle east/eastern europe/SE Asia

http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_GenderGap_Report_2012.pdf

With Yemen and Pakistanrounding off the list.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jake4198
Globally: Saudi Arabia
In the west: Japan
In Europe: Bosnia
In western Europe: Italy
In North America: Mexico
In South America: Venezuela
In Africa: The Sudan
In Eastern Asia: Malysia

What?
patri.jpg