The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by Joshuaj1995
Hello,
I plan on doing 3 A-levels for next year. Can anyone tell me if AS Levels are compulsory before you do A2-Levels?
I will be doing the exams as a private student

Hey!

They are only compulsory if the A Levels you are doing have not been reformed yet (e.g. Maths)

However subjects like Physics have been reformed, meaning an AS is not compulsory and doesn't need to be sat at all, as the second year exams are the only ones that contribute to the whole A Level. If you do sit reformed AS exams, you will get a stand-alone qualification, but it would not contribute to the whole A Level.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by PhyM23
Hey!

They are only compulsory if the A Levels you are doing have not been reformed yet (e.g. Maths)

However subjects like Physics have been reformed, meaning an AS is not compulsory and doesn't need to be sat at all, as the second year exams are the only ones that contribute to the whole A Level. If you do sit reformed AS exams, you will get a stand-alone qualification, but it would not contribute to the whole A Level.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks, do you know if I can sit AS and A2 in the same year?
Reply 3
Original post by Joshuaj1995
Thanks, do you know if I can sit AS and A2 in the same year?

No problem :smile:

AS and A2 are for the unreformed A Levels. You can sit all AS and A2 exams in one year.

For the reformed qualifications, you have AS and A Level. You can sit the A Level exams in one year I believe, as they are not connected to the AS.
Original post by Taiyeb
Can anyone tell me if one needs to take AS level exams along with the A level exams for the subjects politics and economics to complete a full A level?

Not in England - please don't resurrect old threads :smile:

Latest