The Student Room Group

Unpaid work & no further contact

About a month ago, I applied for a job in a local cafe and ended up doing a 5 and half hour trial shift. My friend who works there said that they'd decided to employ me, as did the woman supervising my shift. I heard nothing for a few weeks until my friend said they were planning to get me in for more training during my sixth form work experience week. Again, I heard nothing. My friend says the owner went on holiday and also that everyone who works there is very disorganised in general and they were supposed to be contacting me, but it's been a month since my intial trial shift and I've literally heard nothing that hasn't come through my friend. I'm debating going into the shop and asking, but I don't know if that would look bad if on the off chance they still want to hire me. Or, it could just move things along. Also, I don't know much about laws around this but 5 and a half hours seems an awful long time not to be paid for - should I enquire about this regardless of whether they hire me?

Thank you v much
Reply 1
Original post by niamhroisin
About a month ago, I applied for a job in a local cafe and ended up doing a 5 and half hour trial shift. My friend who works there said that they'd decided to employ me, as did the woman supervising my shift. I heard nothing for a few weeks until my friend said they were planning to get me in for more training during my sixth form work experience week. Again, I heard nothing. My friend says the owner went on holiday and also that everyone who works there is very disorganised in general and they were supposed to be contacting me, but it's been a month since my intial trial shift and I've literally heard nothing that hasn't come through my friend. I'm debating going into the shop and asking, but I don't know if that would look bad if on the off chance they still want to hire me. Or, it could just move things along. Also, I don't know much about laws around this but 5 and a half hours seems an awful long time not to be paid for - should I enquire about this regardless of whether they hire me?

Thank you v much

They don't want you. Apply other jobs. xDD
Reply 2
Original post by Ordo
They don't want you. Apply other jobs. xDD

what about the 5 1/2 hours tho like should i go in and ask
Reply 3
what about the 5 1/2 hours tho like should i go in and ask

Its only trial so you wont get paid sorry xDD
Reply 4
Original post by Ordo
Its only trial so you wont get paid sorry xDD

rip me lol
Reply 5
rip me lol

Keep applying for more jobs and good luck xDD
Reply 6
Original post by Ordo
Keep applying for more jobs and good luck xDD

thaaanks

Thank you v much

Would you want to work somewhere that is so disorganised etc.The place in general sounds dodgy to me.
Id look elsewhere.
Reply 8
Original post by Emma:-)
Would you want to work somewhere that is so disorganised etc.The place in general sounds dodgy to me.
Id look elsewhere.

Yeah, that thought had crossed my mind. But on the other hand, they pay better than other local cafes which was attractive whoops

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending