The Student Room Group

Finding a job while at University

Is it hard finding a job that relates to your course while starting University?
Reply 1
youre going to be lucky if you even get the most bottom of the barrel job, let alone something that actually relates to your course, if you spend the time building your portfolio and CV you mighhhhhhhhhhhhht get an unpaid internship during your break :tongue:
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Morgue
youre going to be lucky if you even get the most bottom of the barrel job, let alone something that actually relates to your course, if you spend the time building your portfolio and CV you mighhhhhhhhhhhhht get an unpaid internship during your break :tongue:
Ooh okay thank you.
Original post by Mina.c
Hi,
Finding a part time job whilst studying at University is possible, many students do.
It can be hard to find a course specific job, but with planning and networking its definitely possible.
I'm a 3rd year Graphic Design student at Arts University Plymouth and i've had lots of opportunities for paid work based around my practice, which i've done.
It's good to get networking in you course sector, to see what's available in your area, get some feelers out i'd recommend. You could also post on your local job wall in Uni, that's another option.
Hope this helps,
Hannah, Arts University Rep :smile:
Original post by Mina.c

You are unlikely to get something that relates to your course.
But there are plenty of shops, supermarkets, fast food places, restaurants, cafes, cinemas, local attractions etc that may have jobs on offer.
Original post by Mina.c
Hiya!

As some have already said, it is possible to find a job whilst being a university student. However a part time job specifically course related can be more challenging yet possible but just depends on what is available at the time and what course area you are in.

For example, I study Health and wellbeing in Society (an undergraduate degree which is a combination of Psychology and Sociology). Relevant work experience I have acquired directly related to my degree / potential future careers; is working as a sessional support worker for a company who looks after individuals who come under the SEND umbrella.

In addition, whist being a student I have also had some other part time jobs such as being a Student Ambassador, an Ambassador for my accommodation, a warehouse worker, and a Christmas temp at Tesco. Whilst these aren't directly linked to my undergraduate degree it is still relevant experience which I discuss on my CV and in interviews as it is about the valuable transferrable skills I gained whilst working and how these can be applied. For example, as an Ambassador I have developed my communication skills and I have demonstrated this by speaking to current and prospective students in various of sizes such as 1:1 and doing a presentation to over 200 students.

However, to try and gain some relevant experience I would recommend speaking to the Career’s Team at the university. By speaking to the Career’s Team, you are exploiting all the resources you are entitled to as a student, and they may be able to assist further. For example, there are jobs available for students and one being Frontrunner internships. These job roles vary but most of them are based around certain courses. In addition, you could always speak to a personal tutor incase they are aware of previous students in a similar position and if they had part time work which was course related. But overall, this does depend on what you are currently studying.

I hope this helps
-Maddie, second year Health and Wellbeing in Society student at De Montfort University
Hello,

I have found that working with university is the best option while studying full time, as they will always understand the value of putting your studies first and will often offer zero-hour contracts.

If your uni has a Career's team, they are the best point of contact

Ask your lecturers, they might be able to help or offer invaluable advice

Use Handshake, a lot of universities and company will post jobs there

Create a LinkedIn and connect with individuals who work in the field you are interested in, you can even message them and ask them for advice/ if they have any available opportunities.

I really hope it works about, my top advice would be don't give up, what idea do you think you will try first ?

Best of luck,
Haya - MBBS V
Original post by Mariam-h-03
I couldn’t find anything public health related (I’m a PH student) but i managed to find a customer service job for the extra money. I’m taking inbound calls which I don’t mind because it’s easy and I work from home and choose my own hours. I’ll be working in between my lectures and seminars next year too. Idk if they’re still hiring but look on their website it’s called remflexgroup.co.uk.

Is it legit?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending