The Student Room Group

Switch From A2 Maths to A2 Further Maths Advice Needed

I've heard of people getting an AS qualification in FM in their second year of A-levels. I'm currently taking AL Maths (OCR) and I've just done the AS exams. As far as I'm aware getting the AS qualification in FM you need to have done C1, C2 (compulsory core units), FP1 and 2 additional units. Given that I've already done C1, C2, and S1, and next year I'll be doing D1 anyway, if I decide to study FP1, I'm sure I can get the AS FM Qualification.

But have you heard of anyone actually switching to get the Full FM qualification? In my case, if I switched I'll be doing C3, C4 as usual, FP3 (for some reason my school chose FP3 over FP2??!), and S2+S3. The problem is that I still need to do 2 more additional courses for the Full FM qualification, as far as I'm aware. Given that my school is going to be hosting the D1 and FP1 exams, it makes sense that if I made such a switch, I should, theoretically, study these two in my free time - and that free time is precisely the summer holidays.

I would like your thoughts:
1) Is doing D1 (I heard it's relatively easy) and FP1 during the summer feasible? And how much time do you think it would take?
2) I'm a very hard worker, so do you think I could handle the switch which would ultimately mean doing 2 more units (Assuming I've perfected D1+FP1) than if I just did Normal Maths.
3) Have you heard of anyone doing this before? Were they successful or not?
Original post by Kiritsugu
I've heard of people getting an AS qualification in FM in their second year of A-levels. I'm currently taking AL Maths (OCR) and I've just done the AS exams. As far as I'm aware getting the AS qualification in FM you need to have done C1, C2 (compulsory core units), FP1 and 2 additional units. Given that I've already done C1, C2, and S1, and next year I'll be doing D1 anyway, if I decide to study FP1, I'm sure I can get the AS FM Qualification.

But have you heard of anyone actually switching to get the Full FM qualification? In my case, if I switched I'll be doing C3, C4 as usual, FP3 (for some reason my school chose FP3 over FP2??!), and S2+S3. The problem is that I still need to do 2 more additional courses for the Full FM qualification, as far as I'm aware. Given that my school is going to be hosting the D1 and FP1 exams, it makes sense that if I made such a switch, I should, theoretically, study these two in my free time - and that free time is precisely the summer holidays.

1) Is doing D1 (I heard it's relatively easy) and FP1 during the summer feasible? And how much time do you think it would take?
2) I'm a very hard worker, so do you think I could handle the switch which would ultimately mean doing 2 more units (Assuming I've perfected D1+FP1) than if I just did Normal Maths.

1) D1 is extremely easy in the sense that theres not a lot of taxing maths, just memorising algorithms which can easily be self taught. I also think FP1 would be fairly basic to self teach, there's lots of new stuff but only at a really basic level. It would only take a few weeks to self teach, depending on how good you are. I've heard of some people self teaching the whole of D1 the day before the exam (not sure quite how well they did though)
2) If you competent at maths then the switch be fine, I did 7 maths units in one year and there's sufficient overlap that it doesn't really feel like you're doing anymore than any other subject.
3) I've never heard of anyone doing specifically this before but I don't see any reason why you couldn't be successful if you're self motivated and good at maths.

C1 and C2 are part of maths not Further maths - which modules have you studied this year?
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
C1 and C2 are part of maths not Further maths - which modules have you studied this year?

Yes, you are right that for AS FM, I would need to do "FP1 together with two other units which may not include any of C1, C2, C3, C4". To answer your
question, I've done C1,C2 and S1. Given that in Normal Maths I'm going to be doing D1, if I study FP1 sometime, whenever, I could easily get the AS FM Qualification.
As for A2 FM, the specification says "FP1 together with FP2 or FP3 or both, plus three or four other units, as appropriate"
My school, for A2, will be doing FP3, S2+S3 and I've done S1 BUT if I make the switch from Maths to FM then I will no longer be doing D1 as part of the course.
Given that I've not done FP1 before, during the summer I'll need to do D1 and FP1.
So that will be FP1, FP3, S2+S3, S1, D1 = six units all together.
Pardon me, I thought everyone would be doing the core units regardless? Is that wrong? Even if i'm wrong, it don't think it will really make a difference.
Reply 4
Thanks for the reply and reassurance Smartalan. Greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 5
Would totally reccomend doing AS further maths during year 13 if you get the chance cause most of Fp1 overlaps with the core modules content and is pretty interesting as well and should make you find ' normal ' maths easier haha
Yes, you are right that for AS FM, I would need to do "FP1 together with two other units which may not include any of C1, C2, C3, C4". To answer your
question, I've done C1,C2 and S1. Given that in Normal Maths I'm going to be doing D1, if I study FP1 sometime, whenever, I could easily get the AS FM Qualification.
As for A2 FM, the specification says "FP1 together with FP2 or FP3 or both, plus three or four other units, as appropriate"
My school, for A2, will be doing FP3, S2+S3 and I've done S1 BUT if I make the switch from Maths to FM then I will no longer be doing D1 as part of the course.
Given that I've not done FP1 before, during the summer I'll need to do D1 and FP1.
So that will be FP1, FP3, S2+S3, S1, D1 = six units all together.
Pardon me, I thought everyone would be doing the core units regardless? Is that wrong? Even if i'm wrong, it don't think it will really make a difference.

To complete maths you need C3 and C4 plus another applied module - 6 modules in total.

For F Maths AS you need 3 modules not including any of the above FP1 + two others.

Talk to a maths teacher as you seem very confused about your options.
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
To complete maths you need C3 and C4 plus another applied module - 6 modules in total.

For F Maths AS you need 3 modules not including any of the above FP1 + two others.

Talk to a maths teacher as you seem very confused about your options.

Alright, thanks for trying to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest