The Student Room Group

Do you judge people who don't wear famous designer clothes?

I personally don't. Just wondering since at a shopping centre a few individuals were calling people out as they weren't wearing "famous" designer clothes/shoes which I think is ridiculous :/
Nope. I don't care for designer clothes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh yeah, when I see those people I actually run away
No, but sometimes I judge people who do (subconsciously of course). My brain goes "Really, you would spend that much on a handbag? or a pair of shoes? :redface:".
No. I wear whatever I want whether it's designer or not.
Yes. My usual thought is "Well done, you don't spunk all your money on something that's priced 10x more than it should be just because it has a label on it made for people who like to show off". I don't think these labels impress anyone anymore anyway, it's common knowledge that on average, the sort of person who is dripping in designer gear tends to be up to their eyeballs in debt because they use loans to live beyond their means so they can appear outwardly wealthy, because they know that they don't have a penny to their name when the bigger picture is considered.
No, but I do judge people who do wear them, particularly if they are dressed like an advertising board. Consumer culture really does have some people by the balls.
Original post by Raizelcadres
I personally don't. Just wondering since at a shopping centre a few individuals were calling people out as they weren't wearing "famous" designer clothes/shoes which I think is ridiculous :/

Hell i wear clothes from kmart and teepublic and i look f u c k i n g fabulous!
Reply 8
I honestly can't tell if something is designer or not unless I've seen it on the internet or there is a giant logo of the brand on a handbag.

It's not like I'm going to stop someone on the street and give them a wedgie in order to check if they're wearing Chanel underwear.

I think buying designer stuff is fine but I wouldn't pay £80 for a simple white shirt with a designer logo on it. Imo, high street clothing looks just as good and costs less too.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
No, but sometimes I judge people who do (subconsciously of course). My brain goes "Really, you would spend that much on a handbag? or a pair of shoes? :redface:".

Lol I do that from time to time also.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Yes. My usual thought is "Well done, you don't spunk all your money on something that's priced 10x more than it should be just because it has a label on it made for people who like to show off". I don't think these labels impress anyone anymore anyway, it's common knowledge that on average, the sort of person who is dripping in designer gear tends to be up to their eyeballs in debt because they use loans to live beyond their means so they can appear outwardly wealthy, because they know that they don't have a penny to their name when the bigger picture is considered.

Yeah I agree totally. I remember in year 10 and 11 where people in my school were being made fun off for wearing an unknown brand shirt/trainers and were called poor :/ (the irony was that a majority of their families received benefits)
I'd probably judge someone more favourably if they didn't...
Original post by Raizelcadres
Yeah I agree totally. I remember in year 10 and 11 where people in my school were being made fun off for wearing an unknown brand shirt/trainers and were called poor :/ (the irony was that a majority of their families received benefits)

Oh yeah, the kids that'd go "Haha, you're poor!" to the kid wearing a Primark fleece (which, tbf, what sort of ******* wears a fleece, but besides the point) then line up in the lunch queue and pay for their meals with their government-provided lunch tokens - nothing wrong with that and I was doing the same thing as my mum was on her own, but difference is I never took the piss out of anyone.

I normally don't care what other people are doing with their lives, but when I see people that are constantly in debt and they have all these nice things but can't afford to eat properly or go out and enjoy themselves, I just want to shake them and give them a slap and tell them to sort themselves out! Sure, I have a lot of expensive belongings in my home and I'm driving a nice car, but I can still manage to pick little things up without thinking "Ooh, I can't really afford that this week" and I can still add to my savings every month. I have cash to spare. Still, they probably think I'm weird for having a few grand just sitting in the bank not being touched when the most expensive item of clothing I'm wearing is my Adidas Originals :lol: Takes all sorts to make the world :smile:
I do wear designer clothes and shoes but I buy outlet stock or vintage stuff so pay very little
the most I have spent was £300 on a Zegna suit in one go but with a retail of £1,700 I allowed it to myself as I needed a new suit anyway
No but I definitely judge those people who wear really obviously fake designer gear!
No. I don't wear designer clothes myself. Actually, I'm more judgmental of people who do wear fancy clothes or expensive clothes to places that aren't fancy or really appropriate. Like wearing designer clothes to school.
Funny how it's not ok to judge people who don't wear desginer clothes, but it's ok to judge those who do...

Double standards much? You shouldn't be judging anybody.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending