The Student Room Group

Tattoo? Entirely bad idea, or manageable?

Hi, sorry if this is random but I'm not sure where else to ask.

I'm due to start a law course at uni in September, but I really really want to get a tattoo on my arm. One of those vine tattoos that wrap around your arm.
But I'm not sure if getting one would utterly screw my chances at a career in law? I've heard a lot of horror stories about tattoos and piercings (which seems stupid to me but what can do you do 🤷*♂️).

But also I'm aware I could hide it with clothes and makeup if needed. I've wanted to get a tattoo for ages, and am still not 18 yet so not capable until my birthday, but is it a horrible idea from the get go or manageable?
Original post by reallyneedsalife
Hi, sorry if this is random but I'm not sure where else to ask.

I'm due to start a law course at uni in September, but I really really want to get a tattoo on my arm. One of those vine tattoos that wrap around your arm.
But I'm not sure if getting one would utterly screw my chances at a career in law? I've heard a lot of horror stories about tattoos and piercings (which seems stupid to me but what can do you do 🤷*♂️).

But also I'm aware I could hide it with clothes and makeup if needed. I've wanted to get a tattoo for ages, and am still not 18 yet so not capable until my birthday, but is it a horrible idea from the get go or manageable?

In my opinion, choose a design that you don't have to hide later, minimal design is better:crossedf:
Tattoos are fine if you can hide it. Something quite high up your arm is more than acceptable. Id just be careful about anything on your wrists/hands/face/neck area.
I wrote a couple of posts recently about tattoos in the legal industry, and don't really have anything to add to them. The first one is here, and the second is just a couple of posts further down in that thread. In this particular situation, I would most certainly make it so that you can hide it. Preferably with clothes and not makeup, just because it's easier. You don't say whether you're male and female, but if you're male you'll be wearing long sleeved shirts most if not all of the time, so that's easy enough from that perspective. If you're female you might need to put a little more thought into it simply because women wear more varied dress, some of which does not cover their arms.
Original post by Crazy Jamie
I wrote a couple of posts recently about tattoos in the legal industry, and don't really have anything to add to them. The first one is here, and the second is just a couple of posts further down in that thread. In this particular situation, I would most certainly make it so that you can hide it. Preferably with clothes and not makeup, just because it's easier. You don't say whether you're male and female, but if you're male you'll be wearing long sleeved shirts most if not all of the time, so that's easy enough from that perspective. If you're female you might need to put a little more thought into it simply because women wear more varied dress, some of which does not cover their arms.

I'm male, and thanks this is super helpful and so is your other post. If I get anything, probably going to go with upper arm :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending