The Student Room Group

Royal Navy air engineer technician or marine engineer technician?

Just wondering if any ex engineers from the navy could tell me a bit about what goes on in each and which they would recommend. At the minute I'm stuck between ET(ME) and AET. I know AETs don't go to sea as much and that is putting me off a bit. Any replies would be appreciated.

Thanks
Do you want to fix aircraft or do you want to fix ships? That's a start.
Reply 2
I also am interested in the engineering roles but i want to get into the action.
Reply 3
Original post by S.c.d
What action?

I mean my problem is ideally i would have action along the lines of the army but in the navy. I also feel like their is not that many roles to chose from in the navy.
Reply 4
Original post by oneday18
I mean my problem is ideally i would have action along the lines of the army but in the navy. I also feel like their is not that many roles to chose from in the navy.

You may struggle digging your shell scrape through the deck of the ship, and not sure where you would find two trees to sling a poncho between either. If you want 'action' like the Army, have you considered a career...in the Army? 🌝
Reply 5
Original post by NFI
You may struggle digging your shell scrape through the deck of the ship, and not sure where you would find two trees to sling a poncho between either. If you want 'action' like the Army, have you considered a career...in the Army? 🌝

:colondollar:yeah i have i just feel as if you don't get treated as well in the army and for career prospects the navy is better.
Reply 6
:colondollar:yeah i have i just feel as if you don't get treated as well in the army and for career prospects the navy is better.

It's depends on many factors how you are treated and how far and quickly you progress in your career. Out of interest what is it that has made you feel the Army don't treat their employees as well as the Navy?
Reply 7
Original post by NFI
It's depends on many factors how you are treated and how far and quickly you progress in your career. Out of interest what is it that has made you feel the Army don't treat their employees as well as the Navy?

my step father is ex army and he wasn't best helped when he left but i suppose things change.
Reply 8
my step father is ex army and he wasn't best helped when he left but i suppose things change.

Things will have certainly changed! The support available to current and former service personnel is at the highest standard it has ever been. There are agencies available that can still support him now no matter how long ago he left if you want me to provide some details?
Reply 9
Original post by NFI
Things will have certainly changed! The support available to current and former service personnel is at the highest standard it has ever been. There are agencies available that can still support him now no matter how long ago he left if you want me to provide some details?

no he's fine now, he has his moments but everyone does. Thanks for that though.
Reply 10
Original post by S.c.d
That's the Royal Marines

Or you could me a mine countermeasure diver? IED disposal alongside the pongos.

I'd say go RM. They enjoy their jobs more.

thing is i'm female
Reply 11
Original post by S.c.d
Then why do you want to do frontline grunt work?

Why do you want to join the forces?

It's something I've always wanted to do and i don't know if i will ever be truly fulfilled if i don't do this. Also nabbing a trade or skills that i can use in the future which will help provide for my family. Okay maybe not frontline grunt work i just don't want to be bored because that happens quite easily.
Original post by S.c.d
You won't get a 'trade' the forces intentionally don't let you have civvi qualifications otherwise retention would be even worse.

Yeah, that's not remotely true.

Almost all trades now give you the chance to follow through your training into qualifications that are valid outside of military service, the caveat bring that they take you a few years to achieve in which time they're getting their money's worth out of you.
Reply 13
Original post by S.c.d
"chance" to "follow through" So yeah maybe if you're lucky you'll get a chance to earn it anyway.

If you want proper qualifications just do them yourself. Join the forces to join the forces.

In my experience, the "chance" you get is handed to you on a plate so if that opportunity is not exploited then the main fault lies with the individual for not taking up the offering. CLM, ELC, Army Skills Offer (or service equivalent) etc are all ripe for the picking.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by S.c.d
Almost all 'trades' require additional work once you're on civvi street to bump them up to civvi equivilant.

Think about it from their perspective:
Johnny no skills is signed up for 12 years. if you give him civvi qualifications that are worth anything then he'll bugger off as soon as he misses home and realises that he'll earn a few grand more living in a terraced house working in a garage going home to his missus every night.

Sure - you can do a maths GCSE or try your hand at an A level .... but why bother joining for that?

Join the forces to join the forces, not for free schooling.

You are talking nonsense. Almost every single Trade in every Branch of the military provides training that results in civilian qualifications or goes a long way towards them. Whether BTEC or whatever, anything that can be give a civilian equivalent is done. It's been a big push across the military over the last 15 years or so to do this. Even promotion training provides credits towards institute membership once you start moving up the ranks.

People join the military for more than a job, but they do get well trained and certain Trades do have retention problems, but that doesn't mean they don't train you.

Quick Reply

Latest