The Student Room Group

Why is engineering so badly paid in the UK

So I found out that engineering isn't a protected title in the UK, and that a graduate engineer making 25-30k is NOT normal across the world. Like in the US I was looking for graduate engineer jobs and they were offering 60k+. That kind of pay you would need like 10+ years experience in the UK. And then I was comparing it to other graduate salaries such as pharmacy and law etc, and they were all getting at least 35k+ fresh out of graduation.
Why is engineering so disrespected in the UK, it's kinda unfair considering how difficult it is. Most countries have it as a protected title, but not here we don't. So they just band us together with technicians and handymen, hence why british gas or internet providers say they're going to send out an "engineer" when they're really just technicians.
It honestly has me somewhat regretting going into engineering.
Original post by Uzair787
So I found out that engineering isn't a protected title in the UK, and that a graduate engineer making 25-30k is NOT normal across the world. Like in the US I was looking for graduate engineer jobs and they were offering 60k+. That kind of pay you would need like 10+ years experience in the UK. And then I was comparing it to other graduate salaries such as pharmacy and law etc, and they were all getting at least 35k+ fresh out of graduation.
Why is engineering so disrespected in the UK, it's kinda unfair considering how difficult it is. Most countries have it as a protected title, but not here we don't. So they just band us together with technicians and handymen, hence why british gas or internet providers say they're going to send out an "engineer" when they're really just technicians.
It honestly has me somewhat regretting going into engineering.

Try and work abroad, it is certainly within my plans for the next five years or so.

Quick Reply

Latest