The Student Room Group

RAF officer assessments

I've recently applied for the role of an RAF officer pilot. Does anyone know or have experience of the assessment tests? So what kind of things do the assessment tests cover and what level of difficulty are they?

As well as the assessments, what are the interviews like? What kind of questions are asked? I imagine you get the usual stuff like "Why have you decided to join the RAF?" and "Why do you think you'd make a good such and such role?" but is there anything that's different from a usual interview?
Reply 1
Original post by FreelanceGoat
I've recently applied for the role of an RAF officer pilot. Does anyone know or have experience of the assessment tests? So what kind of things do the assessment tests cover and what level of difficulty are they?

As well as the assessments, what are the interviews like? What kind of questions are asked? I imagine you get the usual stuff like "Why have you decided to join the RAF?" and "Why do you think you'd make a good such and such role?" but is there anything that's different from a usual interview?

If you search through the RAF careers site it will give you a step by step guide of the various stages of the application (rough count off the top of my head there are at least 7/8 before you'd start).

Then, when you know what these steps are, come back here and look through the threads - thousands of people have gone through them before and have asked about them before, you'll find everything you could want here. You've just got to know what to ask. Then you can get better answers than the one above which is a touch generic and disingenuous (you won't be asked to point to somewhere on a map, nor identify aircraft from a picture in an interview, for example).
Reply 2
OP, you'd be forgiven for misunderstanding, but the above is an attempt at humour.
Original post by FreelanceGoat

Have you been invited to a P2 Presentation yet? All these questions are explained to your during that. Additionally, in terms of assessments, you are sent a document detailing all the types of questions you will sit during the CBAT test.
Well done for realising that there's no point joining the RAF as anything other than a pilot.
Original post by jannisjr
Anyone who gets their information about the forces from the Daily Mail or googling 'RAF/NAVY/ARMY Memes' probably has no idea what they're talking about.

Sorry your thread has been hijacked by this troll.

As for interview questions, I've attached a list of questions that I compiled after my 2 previous interviews - I passed (failed the medical) so its fairly good. Not all the questions will be asked, and there might be some little variations, but its a pretty good list.

Just a heads up, this forum can be a goldmine of information for your preparation, but people will expect you to do your research before you post. Don't expect to be handed things on a plate. There is a search bar on the side, most of your questions will probably have already been asked somewhere i've no doubt! If they haven't, then ask away.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot for the interview questions document. It'll come in handy with the preparation.

Quick Reply

Latest