The Student Room Group

Pilot

Do u have to become an officer before becoming an raf pilot.
Reply 1
The RAF Recruitment website explains the requirements and training process for Pilot.
Reply 2
Original post by Charlie bills

Yes. As Surnia says, all is explained in RAF careers and recruiting materials on the website and social media channels.
I would be realistic with becoming a pilot - It's extremely competitive. I can't speak for the RAF but I know for the Royal Navy, as of two weeks ago they had about 800 prospective pilots lined up to do the Admiralty Interview Board, all of which are competing for 6-7 pilot vacancies.
Reply 4
Any pilot job is highly competitive and for UK military roles the percentage of candidates accepted for training against total applicants has always been outrageously small eg 1% or less. The majority will be filtered out early doors but even getting through to OASC you would have to be a really outstanding candidate to get the nod. Then the hard work begins. I would always advise anyone interested in a pilot career to have a Plan B, C and D

However, if you’re not in you can’t win.
Reply 5
Original post by Charlie bills

Yes "Every Pilot is an Officer first"

Go on the RAF Website it will explain everything from the start of your application up till your aircraft specific training.
Reply 6
Original post by SoonToBeExpat
I would be realistic with becoming a pilot - It's extremely competitive. I can't speak for the RAF but I know for the Royal Navy, as of two weeks ago they had about 800 prospective pilots lined up to do the Admiralty Interview Board, all of which are competing for 6-7 pilot vacancies.

Granted, the RN Pilot selection is going to be harder, specifically for the fact of they don't have anywhere near the amount of aircraft the RAF or even the Army have.
Reply 7
Original post by Ikaruss
for UK military roles the percentage of candidates accepted for training against total applicants has always been outrageously small eg 1% or less.

Historically it's been a little better than that:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/742474/response/1777349/attach/3/20210426%20FOI2021%2003526%20Wells%20WDTK%20Final.pdf
Original post by Ikaruss
Any pilot job is highly competitive and for UK military roles the percentage of candidates accepted for training against total applicants has always been outrageously small eg 1% or less. The majority will be filtered out early doors but even getting through to OASC you would have to be a really outstanding candidate to get the nod. Then the hard work begins. I would always advise anyone interested in a pilot career to have a Plan B, C and D

However, if you’re not in you can’t win.

Don't know about you Ikky, but I've lost all hope. Apparently 2018/19 is 'historical'! :eek:
Reply 9

Mate, I take your point and you can manipulate stats whichever way you want, but I stand by my generalisation that the percentage of applicants who achieve their ambition to enter pilot training is (and historically always has been) in low single figures. I see your recent stats derived from an FOI and raise you a larger dataset from a different FOI. You can split as many hairs as you want, but the chances of getting into pilot training are (and always have been) pretty slim. Which doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try. I applied, and was accepted for GD(P) but biffed it at officer training. If I could do it, lots of people would have a decent chance!
Reply 10
Original post by threeportdrift
Don't know about you Ikky, but I've lost all hope. Apparently 2018/19 is 'historical'! :eek:

Hi 3pd hope you’re doing well! I lost all hope years ago 🤣 As I approach the last few months of my working life, my phrase of the moment is ‘Not my problem anymore’ . I’ve got a big smile on my face!

Quick Reply

Latest