The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

East Asian Studies

I currently finished my AS and am looking to study BA East Asian Studies in 2017. I can't really find alot of information on Study abroad of work experience with this course. On the course information it says you have to apply seperately with the Study abroad programme but on the Study abroad programme it says that East Asian studies includes a year abroad! I was wondering if any current students know any opportunities with this course?
Also I wanted to get a good idea of what types of jobs or things gradutes of East Asian Studies do after graduating? And if it's easy to get into something related to East Asia soon after?
Thanks any information would be much apreciated ^^
Reply 1
Hi there.

I just finished first year Japanese with Business last year. East Asian studies does NOT involve the study of a language so a year abroad is not included as standard. You study modules such as history, culture, art economy etc of countries in East Asia.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
If you want to get employment in a certain country don't do a degree in that country's language or culture, unless you want to be an English teacher in which case you'll be ok. It's pretty pointless to hire someone who has a degree in a language or culture that you have a massive supply of native speakers and citizens in. If you're after that kind of thing go into STEM, finance or business and do the language on the side.
Original post by Helloworld_95
If you want to get employment in a certain country don't do a degree in that country's language or culture, unless you want to be an English teacher in which case you'll be ok. It's pretty pointless to hire someone who has a degree in a language or culture that you have a massive supply of native speakers and citizens in. If you're after that kind of thing go into STEM, finance or business and do the language on the side.

Language graduates are far more desirable to businesses than business graduates as it is easier and cheaper to teach a language grad business skills than a business graduate language and cultural awareness skills.

Plus there are many opportunities to do joint honours in business and languages, which would be even better.

But no, East Asian Studies does not have a year abroad as it is not a language degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending