The Student Room Group

Entry for medicine with foundation year

I have 4 As 4 Bs and 1 distinction and 1 merit, i have poor attendance for first year of AS and my teachers are willing to say i have exentuating circumstances, i am considering medicine with a foundation year, do i have any chance of still getting in?, i have a lot of experience in different parts of the community
Reply 1
I have 4 As 4 Bs and 1 distinction and 1 merit, i have poor attendance for first year of AS and my teachers are willing to say i have exentuating circumstances, i am considering medicine with a foundation year, do i have any chance of still getting in?, i have a lot of experience in different parts of the community please help!
There are 2 broad types of foundation programme, those aimed at students with high grades but no science subjects at A-level, and those designed to widen access for students from deprived backgrounds. If you think you may fit into one of these groups then you should check individual foundation degree eligibility criteria very carefully. However, competition for foundation programmes is high.

Most foundation year programmes have very specific entry requirements, so you would be best off checking them individually although the tsr wiki has a good starter guide http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Foundation_and_Widening_Access_to_Medicine_Programs

I'm assuming you still don't have your AS results? Wait to see how you actually do before making any decisions.

If you have extenuating circumstances and are doing science A-levels you may still be able to apply to normal 5 year medicine programmes, but you would have to check your individual situation with each medical school to see if they would consider you.
Reply 3
Original post by ChinkyKhan
I have 4 As 4 Bs and 1 distinction and 1 merit, i have poor attendance for first year of AS and my teachers are willing to say i have exentuating circumstances, i am considering medicine with a foundation year, do i have any chance of still getting in?, i have a lot of experience in different parts of the community

My sister has just been accepted on a Foundation year abroad with Charles University. She was in a similar position whereas she had some problems in her AS year. It's something to consider if you cant get a UK place. I'm in the third year here in Prague.
Reply 4
Could you please just helpto familiarise me with the procedure? Thank you
Original post by MedicDee
My sister has just been accepted on a Foundation year abroad with Charles University. She was in a similar position whereas she had some problems in her AS year. It's something to consider if you cant get a UK place. I'm in the third year here in Prague.
Reply 5
Original post by ChinkyKhan
Could you please just helpto familiarise me with the procedure? Thank you

Try contacting EMUCAS. You can google their contact details. It's who she went through. If not message me and I will contact my sister for their details.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending