Original post by AdeptDz
How does red = green? confussed please help

picture here
Original post by AdeptDz
picture here

Laws of indices. (k1)2k21=(k1)2k+1(k-1) \cdot 2^k \cdot 2^1=(k-1) \cdot 2^{k+1}
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks so do i have to memorise that? Or is it given as a formula for further maths? I'm in year 11 going to year 12 and never seen that
Original post by AdeptDz
Thanks so do i have to memorise that? Or is it given as a formula for further maths? I'm in year 11 going to year 12 and never seen that

It's basic knowledge, there is no formula. You're expected to know the laws of indices in GCSE, are you not? You will revisit indices at the start of Y12 in Core 1 anyway, but do remember that you can use this trick as it will come in useful throughout AS and A2.

abacab+ca^b \cdot a^c \equiv a^{b+c}
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
ohhh shame i do know that, my bad just havent done maths for a bit.. thanks anyway
Reply 6
One more thing: can you not * the (k-1) by 2?
Reply 7
why is it just left, but the 2^k and 1 are * by 2
Reply 8
Original post by AdeptDz
why is it just left, but the 2^k and 1 are * by 2

(k1)2k×2=(k1)2k+1 (k-1)2^k \times 2 =(k-1)2^{k+1} . This is exactly the same as ab×a=a2b ab \times a =a^2 b , you're saying why isn't b multiplied as well but it is. I think you need to go over the basics of algebra again to clarify some things, because it will be impossible to progress always.
Reply 9
Oh i get it, ye i should.. i feel stupid
Reply 10
Thanks a lot btw
Reply 11
Original post by AdeptDz
Oh i get it, ye i should.. i feel stupid

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*} a^b \times a^c = \underbrace{a \times a \times \cdots a}_{b \, \text{times}} \times \underbrace{a \times a \times \cdots a}_{c \,\text{times}} = \underbrace{a \times a \times \cdots a}_{(b+c) \, \text{times}} = a^{b+c}\end{equation*}

Original post by Zacken
Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*} a^b \times a^c = \underbrace{a \times a \times \cdots a}_{b \, \text{times}} \times \underbrace{a \times a \times \cdots a}_{c \,\text{times}} = \underbrace{a \times a \times \cdots a}_{(b+c) \, \text{times}} = a^{b+c}\end{equation*}

That's only valid when b and c are positive integers.
Reply 13
Original post by HapaxOromenon3
That's only valid when b and c are positive integers.

Obviously.

Quick Reply

Latest