The Student Room Group

deleted

…..
(edited 8 months ago)
When I wrote my PS, I was just as clueless. I think what helped me was just doing as much as I could, even if at the time I think they're irrelevant. I went to open days, summer schools, watching online seminars/lectures and even looking at modules from the unis, You definitely don't have to complete tasks either, for example when I did have an idea of what to write, I searched up books and articles just to fit my PS. However if you think you're gonna get interviewed, its best to fully research into the things you've mentioned in your PS.
I think once you have a few things in your list to add to your PS, ideas can just flow from just one point and you'll find things to mention and add on.
You don't really need to be narrow and focus on smaller areas, be as broad as you like but you can just add a few sentences in mentioning particular parts of your subject that piqued your interest more than others.
You definitely will need some sort of structure, and find some nice opening sentences that arent too cliche. Usually the advice is to mention when and why you're interested in the subject, why you're wanting to do it at uni, what makes you think uni would be fit for your interests and what you're currently doing to prove that you have this interest. Basically why are you picking uni rather than others such as an apprenticeship or going straight into work, is it the research facilities, is it the teaching, the opportunities etc
I was also adding in why going to uni would help me expand my subject interest and how uni would let me meet my expectations etc. Also kind of ask yourself if what you're writing is relevant ie does it show that you are interested/passionate about your subject, does it show something about you as a person etc
You can definitely bring up your other subjects, I dedicated a paragraph talking about my subjects so I don't see why not. It doesn't have to be narrow either, as long as you show interest and relevance to what you're talking about.
When you're writing your PS, constantly remind yourself to talk about you and yourself only. It helps you from sidetracking to other people, or what the author was saying or what your family thought etc. The admissions officer is only interested in you and your thoughts when they're reading your PS.
You can definitely bring up other things such as bio, they'll see this like an extracurricular activity which they love. They want people who are smart yes, but they're looking into your personality too and knowing you're willing to expand your knowledge is a plus- just don't try to make it sound like a biology PS.
Remember you have all of this summer to add to your personal statement. I didn't start writing mine until the end of August yet I still managed to draw up a decent draft in a day and completely finalise it within just a few weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending