The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

good luck
Original post by Elle_w
I'm hoping to get into Winchester, they want 300 ucas points so ideally I want to get an A* in psych, B in biology and C in chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AmyPilot
good luck

Thank you! 😆

Posted from TSR Mobile
Been stalking this thread for a while but now it is probably time to come out of denial and accept that Results Day is so close!

How are people going to approach remarks with the new changes that have come in? If you are a mark or two away from a boundary in an essay subject, is there any point applying for a review?
Original post by Aquaxo
Been stalking this thread for a while but now it is probably time to come out of denial and accept that Results Day is so close!

How are people going to approach remarks with the new changes that have come in? If you are a mark or two away from a boundary in an essay subject, is there any point applying for a review?

Definitely go for it or the pain of regret will be there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2364
Original post by Aquaxo

If you need the reveiw then go for it, if not then don't worry IMO. you can still get marked changed, even in essay subjects it all depends but I wouldn't risk it unless you have to.
I still don't fully understand it... Would, say, a 5 mark difference be counted as a 'mistake' and so be corrected? Or would it just be 'opinion-based' and so ignored by the reviewer?

Why couldn't they have just waited until we were off the conveyer belt before introducing the changes :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2366
Original post by Aquaxo
I still don't fully understand it... Would, say, a 5 mark difference be counted as a 'mistake' and so be corrected? Or would it just be 'opinion-based' and so ignored by the reviewer?

Why couldn't they have just waited until we were off the conveyer belt before introducing the changes :frown:(

It could be either.
Original post by Aph
It could be either.

I meant specifically for an essay-based question. If this is the case then it seems pretty difficult to regulate! I understand that some students benefited from one or two dubious extra marks last year, but the whole change seems at the detriment of those who take essay subjects. The remark system was initially imposed to counter the variability of 'harshness' between markers - making it so that differences in opinion are no longer a suitable reason for a genuine review seems completely counterproductive. Surely the majority of problems that exist lie in the initial marking system, given that those who are assigned to remarking are supposedly the best of the best.
Reply 2368
Original post by Aquaxo
I meant specifically for an essay-based question. If this is the case then it seems pretty difficult to regulate! I understand that some students benefited from one or two dubious extra marks last year, but the whole change seems at the detriment of those who take essay subjects. The remark system was initially imposed to counter the variability of 'harshness' between markers - making it so that differences in opinion are no longer a suitable reason for a genuine review seems completely counterproductive. Surely the majority of problems that exist lie in the initial marking system, given that those who are assigned to remarking are supposedly the best of the best.
it could be either, if the marks were clearly wrong then you'll get them, if they were boarder line you won't.
This is just speculation on my part, but I expect that in questions that are marked by 'levels' based marking, then the mark will only be changed in a remark if the underlying level is also changed.
Good luck to those who are getting their results soon :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MoonVirgo

Thank you for this! :-)

Do people think this is fair?
Original post by Aquaxo
The remark system was initially imposed to counter the variability of 'harshness' between markers

Not true at all. In theory all markers should be marking to a single agreed standard. I appreciate that this doesn't always happen in practice, but it's certainly not the intention and it's not the reason why re-marks exist.
I don't get this change in remarks business - surely the system SHOULD be exactly the same as it was before?
Original post by Cadherin
I don't get this change in remarks business - surely the system SHOULD be exactly the same as it was before?

It's probably to encourage less people to go for a remark.

Original post by Aquaxo
Thank you for this! :-)

Do people think this is fair?

Nope, and I feel bad for you guys that they're doing this.
I hope the changes to remarks mean examiners are more lenient in giving us the benefit of the doubt marks first time round so less people need remarks, but I doubt it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2377
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
I hope the changes to remarks mean examiners are more lenient in giving us the benefit of the doubt marks first time round so less people need remarks, but I doubt it

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I understand benifit of the doubt marks are only MENT to be given 50% of the time. Of if you get it first the next time if the examiner isn't sure they won't give it to you (unless they have been given extra Guidence)
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Ah I did biology, chemistry and maths with WJEC. How did you find biol? I didn't like by4 tbh, by5 wasn't too bad considering how little revision I've done for it :redface:

Fellow WJEC maths person here! (Although I only sat C4 this year because I'm resitting in my gap year)

How did you find C4 and C3 this year?
Original post by Aph
Out of interest where are you looking at the York modules, having just looked (what you kept saying intreuged me) I can only see 1 physics module in the first year at York and that's it as opposed to at least 2 in Nottingham's

Ah god really... I'm literally gonna die if that's the case .. I guess I didn't look over them properly . Now I'm hoping I miss my offer lol :/

Quick Reply

Latest